transfering tanks

dperna

I just finished transfering my 20gallon to my 58 gallon oceanic tank, i feel like i am going to die lol. i would have never thought that something could be so much work
. i thought it would take me 1-2 hours topps and it took well over 5. not to mention i still have some aquascaping to do because the water was so merky i couldnt even see my own hand in there. what made it so difficult was because the 58g was not used for years but still running, the sand was horrible and the tank in general was a mess, BUT its getting there!

well, wish me luck on the rest of my project

calabashman

How did the water numbers check out in the old tank before you transfered?
What was in the tank before you added your stuff.
Sounds like the tank conditions were less than favorable. Did you attempt to clean (filter) the water before you transfered?
What did you transfer?

dperna

Originally Posted by calabashman
How did the water numbers check out in the old tank before you transfered?
What was in the tank before you added your stuff.
Sounds like the tank conditions were less than favorable. Did you attempt to clean (filter) the water before you transfered?
What did you transfer?
I checked amonia, PH, nitrite, nitrate, phosphates, made sure temp/salinity was matched up, and everything was good :happyfish
i transfered from the 20g a maroon clown, and a yellow headed sleepergoby, some different zoo's, snails/crabs, etc. not to mention 15g. of the water to make for an easier transition and for a nice waterchange for the 50g.
the 50 g has been running for the last couple of years just without anything in it besides water, liverock and sand, and the sand was just covered with silt and wasnt the most appealing, it wasnt that its not in good condition, just needed some cleaning up

lolly1

Congrats on the big move!! My mom ("MonaLisa") is planning to switch her 37 gallon to a 46 bowfront this weekend. I'm going over to help...should be a fun project. Any words of wisdom??