Transmission mechanics?

I am trying to fix my wife's van. It has a 4t60e, 95 pont transport3.8
This thing is giving me fits...It drives fine, but wont lock up in reverse. If I remove the vacuum from the tranny, it locks up hard.
I replaced the modulator valve, but there is no change.
Any Ideas?

tiggerguy

ok first does it leak or burn fluid like hell.. does it stip at all or not.. my guess is like most 416s you probably plew a pin. and when you dicconect the vacum line in locks up then.. did you make shure the vacum line is not clogged.. duubt it is but might just help..
sometimes it is the easiest thing the the world.. other times you just need to push it off a cliff

No drips or leaks ar all
the vacuum line is clear
It will back up fine with the vacuum hose removed, and will attempt to lock up when it is cold, but slips badly

tiggerguy

sounds like one of the clutches went bad.. or maybe a couple of them.. tranny could just be worn out.. cheap fix that might help get a bottle of LUCAS and follow the directions for transmissions if the slipping stops then parts are just worn.. if that dont fix it then i am afraid you will have to tear hole thing apart

Thanks, I'll give that a try first.
Cheap things first:) , I may just change the filter and see what goes on there.
this being an electronic transmission, I am going to get a code reader and see if there is anything that could be causing this. I have found out that the EGR valve is CC and if it is not working could cause vacuum to be out of range.