Transporting a tank to new house

jewels74

I am getting a 72 gal established reef tank from a friend and need to know the best way to move fish, corals, live sand ect. about 30 minutes away. Where do I begin to get this done as easily and safetly as possible? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the space SWF.

dalerich

I went from crushed coral to ls in my tank. This was a complete tear down and setup. The only difference I see with you is your moving the tank. I would drain the water into a 5 gallon bucket. Then place the water into a 25 gallon rubber made storage bin in the truck or car. Then I would pack the fish/corals like the fish store does when you purchased them. Set them into a cooler keeps them warm longer. I would also disconnect the tanks heater and air supply. Make a trip to the new location. Move the storage bin 5 gallons at a time to another empty storage bin in the house. Set up your storage bin with the heater and slowly put in the fish and corals with the heater and air supply. This will keep the fish happy and alive. Let the fish check out the new place while you make another trip to the old house. grab the rest of the water, LS, Live rock,etc. using the same 5 gallon bucket method remember that water is about 8.3452641 Pounds per gallon. transport the tank and set it up, put everything back in the tank. you should be about 15-20 gallons short because the fish are in the storage bin watching tv. I would repackage them and refloat them in the newly set up tank so there is no shock and awe with the fish and corals. I would think that with the drive and moving it might take you 1/2-3/4 of a day. It a lot of messing around but it alot better than waiting 3-8 weeks to recycle the tank. It would also be nice to do your % water change, clean the filter, clean the skimmer, and scrub the tank glass with a brush. Not everyone gets to clean a tank like this so you are one step ahead of all of us. hope this helps...

mbrands

Originally posted by dalerich
remember that water is about 8.3452641 Pounds per gallon

This is just an approximation, right?

sonofkrono

that was one of the first questions i looked into before buying my tank. i was told to just remove the live rock, lower the water so that fish and suck are still in it but low enough for no one to be sticking out of the water and low enough for you and your friend to be able to carry it. the water you take out put into pails and put if back in after the move or else you'll have to do a major cycle.

scubadoo

moving a tank with water and substrate in it raises the risk of developing a leak...especailly if a 1/4 filled or more.

plumbjohn

Originally posted by ScubaDoo
moving a tank with water and substrate in it raises the risk of developing a leak...especailly if a 1/4 filled or more.

also a hernia or sptained back
good luck :)