transporting your aquarium??

cmonti

My house is on the market and I will need to move my tank to my new house. Luckily its only a 10 minute drive. Has anyone ever attempted this. I have a 20 gallon with 20 lbs of live rock and 2 clown fish. I kept livestock to a minimum because I anticipated this may happen. Can I bottle my tank water in 5-10 gallon jugs and preserve the water quality? I planned to keeo the fish in a container with my tank water and somesort of filter until I get the new tank set up. Any thoughts.

subie41ife

imo you sounds like your on the right track. if its only a 10 min drive it souldnt be bad at all if you have everything set up correct and in order where you can do the tank move fast.
I would get some 5 gallon buckets fill two of the with water and fill another one with water and fish. them put everything in truck or whatever and unload it at new house and will tank back up with the water and then put the fish back in. you water temps should drop much at all in that time.

defcon11

+1
I moved my tank a couple times. The way I do it:
- put fish in ziplock bags w/ tank water. keeps them from getting thrown around in buckets.
- fill buckets w/ water from tank
- add LR to buckets making sure not to overflow. add bagged fish and seal bucket tops
-leave sand in tank with just enough water in it to keep it wet.
-when @ new location set tank up 1st thing, float bags in tank once LR and water are back in. Turn powerheads and filter on but keep fish in bags. Water will clear up enough to add fish in about 45 minutes.