traps to catch cycling damsels/

fugu

i have 4 dominoes who are becoming aggressive any ideas how to catch them they will bite my hand but every fish seems to know what a net looks like from 3 feet away!
any ideas?

misty927

I had four damsels in a 55 gallon tank with a large network of live rock for them to hide in. After trying (unsucessfully I might add) for 30 minutes, I decided to use two nets, a smaller one and a large one. I would scare them with one net, and once they were in the corner or trapped, my boyfriend would scoop them up quickly, while I waved the other net back and forth and up and down. We must have been a funny sight, but it worked. It took us approximately 20 minutes to get all four...the hardest thing was getting them out of the live rock, which we just lifted, causing them to scurry out. Those little guys sure can move fast though! :D

jups1

You can build a trap out of a critter keeper - the plastic container w/the swining lid. Use fishing line & set it up like a trap door, so that when the fish go inside, you can pull the line & the door will close. Don't feed the fish for a couple days. Then put the food inside the trap. It may take a few days, but they'll eventually go in. Especially if they're aggressive.
Picture a box w/a stick to hold the door open. The line is attached to the door & strung through the lid. The critter keepers have vents, string the line through those. When you pull, the door shuts & you can pull the box right out w/the fish in it. Hope this makes sense. It's hard to describe.
Juli

fugu

thankyou all i have allready tried the two net technique, unsucsesfully. the trap sounds like an idea i am going to try it, thanks.

another thing that might work is if you just leave the net in the tank for a while just sitting there, and when think its safe to come out u got them, or you might want to try placeing some food in the net, (or while feeding) and last but not least there are traps for fish, i can give ya an e-mail of where to get them

hugo

I guess you could always pick up your tank and pour all the water out and pass it through a strainer. When the tank is empty your fish can be found in the strainer. I know it is crude but if all else fails...

kappadoku

Make your own fish trap!
Get an ampty 2 liter bottle, cut the top off and invert it back into the bottle. You can sew it or superglue it back in. Put some food, shrimp or something in the bottle and dont feed them. They will swim into the bottle and dont know how to get back out.
HTH!

grouperhead

i think these guys have pretty much covered it except the fastest way possible.....put a lion in the tank and hell make short work of them :D have fun trying to catch the little boogers. kappa's trap sounds pretty good i have also heard you can put a piece of food in the net and they will swim in to get the food put i have some doubts on this unless you have really dumb fish. bo

ll206

I had the same problem. Leave the light off for a sufficient period of time and try to net them right when you turn it on......