Travel Channel: Hamburgers and Hot Dogs

ophiura

OK, has anyone ever seen those specials on the travel channel (maybe also food network, and I think originally done for PBS maybe)...that go to "top notch" hot dog, hamburger, sandwich and ice cream places?
I am desperate to go to some of the hot dog locations. If anyone has been to Puka dog (sp?) on Kauai, I MUST know about it. So many of those places look tasty.
I, for one, have never been to a white castle. I have had the frozen one's, but never fresh. It is a life's goal.
I am watching the hamburger one right now...and uuuuugggggghhhhhhhh (in a good way).
But the deep fried hot dogs from that place in New Jersey also look great.
So please, if you have seen the show, or been to places on the show (or just dang good places for these bits of Americana) please let me know. I am having a serious craving. Serious. I realize the sushi I had for dinner is so "wannabe!!"

nyyankeees

I've been to White Castle but if you don't make it to one then Krystal is the same thing. I live in GA and they are all over here and I know they have them in FL too. I'm not sure if they're are any near your area, though. I've never been to any of the other places you mentioned.

renogaw

wow
we have a white castle in westfield mass, and supposedly it is a life changing experience, but...lol you're killing me :)

m0nk

Mmmm, deep fried something something....
I think I'm gonna have to search out this place in Jersey, I'm going over there to pick up a tank in 3 weeks...
And I know what you mean, watching those shows makes me want to pack up and do a cross country driving tour of them all.

teresaq

we have a little mom and pop place, been here for 30 yrs. They have the best hamburgers I have ever had. Not to mention the fried zuccini. yum.

renogaw

probably the BEST hamburg place i've ever been to was in Sutherlin, OR. It was called Let Us In. I doubt it's still around, but every time i went home i always had to stop by (its been 7 years since i went back to OR)

kjr_trig

If you ever get to Charleston SC, go to Jack's Cosmic Dogs (actually in Mt. Pleasant, a suburb), Alton Brown claimed it the best hot dog he had ever had....They are quite good.

dragonzim

If you're in NY, go to Gray's Papaya for the BEST hot dogs.
All American Burger on Long Island is fantastic too. They've been in the same location for 50 years or so

cowfishrule

ah, here it is:
Rutt's Hut
417 River Rd.
Clifton, NJ
973-779-8615
while you are there, make sure to check out absolutely fish.
just sayin....

bigarn

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
ah, here it is:
Rutt's Hut
417 River Rd.
Clifton, NJ
973-779-8615
while you are there, make sure to check out absolutely fish.
just sayin....
Roger that COWFISH!
Rutt's Hutt should be designated an historic landmark for as long as its been around.

bronco300

white castle, lol...they are all over...the little burgers arent bad...i just dont care for the grease soaked buns.

m0nk

I completely forgot about the one not too far from here. In Duncannon, Pa, there's a place called the Red Rabbit Drive-In, they have these "bunny burgers" and if you ask, they'll put "bunny dust" on the fries too. It's really good stuff, and it's done like the old fashioned drive-ins, though sans roller-skates.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by maddog0118
great food...
we call murder burgers
as fast as you eat is as fast as they come out
That's why they're called SLIDERS too. They slide in and just slide right out...

m0nk

That's a bummer, the Rutt Hutt is on the opposite end of the state from where I'm headed...

nano reefer

RED's EATS in Wiscasset Maine is world renouned for their lobster rolls, but they also have famous hotdogs. They open every day at 11, and people are lining up an hour before hand because one its 11 the line is half a mile long. Their lobster rolls contain more than one lobster and weighs about 1.5 pounds. They have been on the travel channel as number 2 i believe.
there is also this place in Larchmont where y step dad took me a while back. We got there early and we still waited 1.5 hrs in line. I think it was Micheal's or somthin like that. Definitely worth the wait. He said it was famous, but i never checked on that.
there was this place in New Cannan, called Cherry Street. They had over 40 kinds of burgers. 2 month reservations (with time limits when you got in) for a burger-joint/bar. The place burned down a year ago, and i dont think they put it back up...
in Greenwich we are the home of Garden Catering. Not a hot dog or burger place (you can order those) but they are famous for their chicken and fries. Its called the "high-school special" 5 bucks for 1/2 a pound of chicken and fries with a can of soda. They use "secret seasoning" which is actually lawries, but its the homemade batter they use for the chicken and fries that does it. Going there for lunch would mean you're insane because they dont have parking lots and the place (kitchen and waiting line spot) are about the size of an average bedroom. No tables either.
SUper Duper Wienie is in FFLD, and they make a great dog. They have been in loads of magazines. Not super duper famous though.

nano reefer

there is also this place in Larchmont where y step dad took me a while back. We got there early and we still waited 1.5 hrs in line. I think it was Micheal's or somthin like that. Definitely worth the wait. He said it was famous, but i never checked on that.

nano reefer

there was this place in New Cannan, called Cherry Street. They had over 40 kinds of burgers. 2 month reservations (with time limits when you got in) for a burger-joint/bar. The place burned down a year ago, and i dont think they put it back up...