Trey, you might find this interesting

fat_ed

I've noticed that you appear to be the fish health guru at this site, so I thought I'd pass on a story I heard over the weekend. My wife and I have a friend who is currently in her veterinary residency. Her hospital recently operated on a Koi with to remove a large tumor (from its swim bladder I believe). Apparently the procedure was a first of its kind.
Why operate on a fish, you ask? The koi apparently has a very rare set of markings and was bought at a bargain because of the tumor. Should the koi survive the post-op trauma, it will apparently be worth around $50K.

That's cool. Just imagine, when your fish get's sick, bring it to the vet and bang! They fix them right up. That is what will probably happen in the future.

C

coralbeauty

OKay, I need more details! I can totally understand why operate on any fish! Koi, Angel, Tang(maybe not a damsel!lol) But how did they do it. Did they hook up a little IV for sedation, place them in an artifical gill??? In all seriousness, they must have kept it partially in water, so the one gill could function, and then they exposed the operative site out of water?
I would be interested in knowing how they did such extensive surgery. I have removed an extenal tumor from a whipple once. But to take a tumor out of a swim bladder is very interesting........
Tanks for sharing
Connie

fat_ed

Coralbeauty, I really don't know. I think she went into some detail, but I had quite a bit of wine that night + after dinner drinks, etc... Next time I speak to her I'll ask her about it, and find out if the fish survived.
She said that it was quite rare that her hospital works on fish.