tri color acro

flip_x

Hey everyone i was looking at a tri color arco on a big 8x4 live rock.. it covers 3/4 of the rock.. one side of the arco has two different color zoa's maybe like 80+ each color.. and the other side a yellow star polyp.. hes frag the arco so they are abut 3/4in to and 1" in height.. he will sell the whole thing for $90.. you think thats a good deal? looks like about 15 3/4 in frags
thanks
Cedric

nycbob

sounds reasonable. u figure a frag of tricolor frag runs about $35-40. the zoas run about $40-50.

stanlalee

thats a good price for what described. tricolor (valida) frags arent expensive though. the one in the back (you cant tell because I was still green at taking pics with a 20k bulb and my camera isn't the best but it has the tricolor purple tips, green polyps and teal body). cost $20. the ora is $37.99 from here.

I'll take a current pick tommorow. as you can see above it had ZERO encrusting on the plug when I got it and you cant see the colors but I'll take a top down for the colors and a front shot for the growth. there are other "tricolor" acro's like the tricolor secale (northwood tri-color= valida) and probably others but the valida is by far the most hardy.
sort of off topic but I'm not a fan at all of cutting up new shipments or wild colonies and selling them off as frags. when most people buy small frags like these they are expecting them to be aquacultured not just a fragged colony of a shipment that potentially wont do nearly as well. doing that also doesn't lower the demand for collecting wild colonies. its just the easy and cheap way to sell a bunch of frags. a colony like that wholesales for really cheap ($20-25) so its much more profitable and quicker to do that then to sell real aquacultured frags. the "proper" thing to do would be buy a frag of it, grow it out and sell/trade frags that way. at the very least the pet store of you if you buy it should observe it for several months in captive conditions before passing off. nothing worse than getting a great looking acro or frag thats going to die 2 months later for no other reason than its a wild specimen thats not going to adapt. consequently all but two of my acro frags are ORA or the Drs because I know they are true aquacultured frags. with all that being said having had two valida's (one wild for sure) in two tanks they are extremely hardy as far as acro's go so they'll probably do fine even though I dont like the practice. if its a secale tri color not so much.

stanlalee

well this picture sucs balls but I'm out of time and have to go to work but you can see it encrusted the plug some and grew some compared to the above. nothing amazing but I attribute it that to lighting power.

flip_x

i like it!! if i remember correctly he had the one im gonna buy as a frag.. and it just encrusted to 3/4 of that rock..
i like the color of urs!!