tried everything

ems101

ok. here we go. I have a 125g FOWLR tank with approx. 80lbs LR. wanting to upgrade to reef in short while but want to get parameters perfect or close to before. It's been up and running for about
1 1/2 years. Nitrates - 10 pH 8.4 all others including phosphates 0. have about 1/2 inch sand bed crushed corals. 2 ehiem canister filters seaclone skimmer 2 powerheads good lighting. I have what can be described as green bottom of the lake algea, it grows on the LR sand bed and I can take it out by simply pulling at it. it even covers my spyder crab to the point that he is only a ball of fur!. tried Rx didnt work. tried water changes no help. distilled water used nada! ANyone please gimme any comments suggestion, critiques! anything. It's a beautiful tank but still not the best

arkey.d

Sounds like ya need a good cleanup crew. Example below...
*Tank Cleaner Crew Basic 130 Gallon Tank. This kit includes 30 Scarlet Hermit Crabs, 55 Turbo (or Astrea) Snails, 80 Mexican Red-Leg (or 160 Blue-Leg) Hermits.
Tank Cleaner Crews are specially designed packages of sea creatures proven to help control algae growth & detritus. As nature’s janitorial crew, these creatures sweep up detritus as they till and sift through your sand & rock. They also clean your windows, as they’ll nibble away your algae growth (film and hair). Our experts have put these packages together to naturally clean and control your home aquarium system.

ems101

thanx finally someone with a different view on things! I'd like to get such a package but I live in Canada thus can't order from here. My LFS charges incredible prices for these and honestly tries to sc(&^ me over everytime I go. any thoughts on where I could get some? and if a thicker sand bed would help

arkey.d

Is the substrate Sand and Crushed Coral or just Crushed Coral?
I can't put links to other sites here, but if you want to email me then I'll send ya 2 or 3 links where you can get clean up crews here in the US.
Here is my Email Address

unleashed

definatly a cleanup crew is needed .even if you dont purchase a large amount of cleaners .if you have a salt water fish store locally I purchased 10 turbo snails and 10 hermit crabs with in 3 days the algae was gone 125 gal tank