trigger compatibility

pluchinsky

i'm deciding how to stock my new tank & i decided to check out what i could have with an aggressive setup. i tried to start by seeing what was compatible with a trigger. however, not a single fish on the chart got a 'yes' with triggers. there were a lot that said 'caution' so how do i know what will work? what kind of variety could i have with an aggressive setup? i'd like a good bit of color (with the exception of a couple of neat ones that bring something else to the tank) and nothing real difficult to keep. i have a 125 gal (with a 55 sump)? thanks!

nickfish

The more peaceful triggers as follow
Humu
Niger
Blue-Throaght
Pink-Tail
Any other triggers are best left alone

lion_crazz

Humu Humu Triggers are definitely not the most peaceful triggers. They would be third on that list. Nigers and blue throats are a lot more peaceful than humu's.
For other tank mates, you could try a grouper, a puffer, a larger wrasse, an eel, and maybe a larger tang (something like a Sohol has the aggression to hang with the options above).
The only thing you want to stray away from is a lionfish. Triggers will rip a lionfish apart.

nickfish

Actually, i did not list them in order. I have a pinktail that kinda just gives no care about anything. It is kept with a blue-head wrasse, a yellow tang, and a snowflake eel. It got along with a cb butterfly until it died 4 1/2 hours after being added. I would trust triggers with lions but thats just my opinion but there are some that will shred their fins. Defenetly not a shoal tang with a trigger. They attack triggers and parrots in the wild and i am serious.

grovey

Originally posted by lion_crazz
The only thing you want to stray away from is a lionfish. Triggers will rip a lionfish apart.

This may be non typical results but i housed a volatian lion and a humma humma togeather for well over 2 years and never had a problem except my inverts didn't last long but they got along very fine
funny thing was the trigger was like a pet he would come to the top put his trigger up and turn to the side so i could pet the top of him he loved it he was really cool

lion_crazz

Well, there are exceptions to every rule! :D
And, nickfish, I didn't mean to jump down your throat. I thought you were sayin em in order.

nickfish

Oh, i wasnt offended or anything. Anyway, my pinktail is pretty docile but it is territorial twards my wrasse but my yellow tang messes with my trigger.