Trigger Fish

darkborne

Well im pretty new to the whole marine aquarium thing but am an experienced cichlid keeper. What I want to make sure of is that different kinds of Triggerfish can be kept together (IE clown, queen, picasso)

xavier

You can pretty much keep them all together. Take note you should have at least 50gallon minimum for any Trigger. Some may be aggressive and others may not be. The clown and undulated by nature are aggressive but you may get luckyand get a tame one. I have a small undulated that is very nice. just keep an eye on them when adding them on the tank.

darkborne

kewl, so next question do you think a 150gal tank would be good enough to house a queen, a picasso, and a clown trigger?

kris

Yes, although I normally say one fish at a time, add these all at the same time, and after your tank is pretty well established.

xavier

150g. I do not see a problem.
How much are the Queen Triggers? I have been looking for one for months and I haven't seen anywhere. Wondering price on those. Another cool Trigger to have is a BVlue Line Trigger.

clwhite

I have an udulated trigger that I have had for 8 months. He is soooo mean! He will hide from me if I come up on the tank. He is in a 45g by himself. I am thinking of adding a lion fish. Will this help his personality? I have seen a few nigers and clowns that seem a lot nicer. Sure wish I would have gotten a different kind of trigger.

dale

I have a piccasso trigger and he is pretty laid back, I can just about hold him in my hand, I think they make a great choice.

fishgirl

My favorite kind of trigger is the picasso. they are not too aggressive, but they've got a lot of personality. Mine would come up to the side of the tank to greet me every timeI walk by, and he even got along with two damselfishes and a Yellow Tang! Why don't you go to my site and ask for my book, "Triggerfish in the Home Aquarium" http://pages.prodigy.net/cathy110/Jean's Marine.htm
~fishgirl

the rock

the rock says...
dealing with triggerfish can be a toss up, some will be very peaceful while others will be very aggressive and bully every other fish in the tank, they all have the ability to do so, from the bursa to the queen. over time you may have the greatest trouble, try to get them relatively the same size, often times the larger they get the more aggressive and fiesty they get. be ready to spend on lot on food too as they are constantly wanting to be fed and that is what lends to their popularity as they aggressively wait at the front of the tank swimming back and forth hoping to get some good food. it really is a crap shoot as you may get five nice community triggers and then the next one you add will try to kill the rest of them off. good luck

fishgirl

Triggers, I believe, cannot be assessed by what species they are, but rather each individual is very different. Most from the Rhinecanthus genus tend to be more peacefull. I think adding the lionfish is a great idea. A funny thing...I heard someone say they have a very gentle undulate trigger, and that they're real cool. It really depends. A panther grouper could work too.