trigger id

sydney04

is there any difference between the indian trigger and the black durgeon trigger. I ordered a black durgeon trigger but I think hhe sent me a indian trigger. And when I sent pics of both he told me I had the two mixed up. Can anyone settle this disput. Pics wounld help

ccampbell57

The Indian trigger and Durgeon are the same. The Hawaiian black and the durgeon are of the same genus but different species.
The Indian Black (Melichthys indicus) is more brown in color. Its tail is the same as the Pink tail and the clown trigger. Fan like.
The Hawaiian Black (Melichthys Niger) is dark black with Blue streaks in it. From certian angels it looks blue. It has a tail similar to that of the Blueline trigger (half moon).

ccampbell57

You have a Black Durgeon. You can tell from the shape of the tail and the coloration of his body.
It is a beautiful fish.

ccampbell57

The only black trigger with that shape is the Melichthys Niger. It is found only in Hawaii from what I know.
If you ordered a black durgeon (indian), that is what you got.

sydney04

Melichthys Niger is what I ordered the pic on the wen page was a pic of the second trgger you posted. The name he has next to the pic is black durgeon.

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by sydney04
http:///forum/post/2481036
Melichthys Niger is what I ordered the pic on the wen page was a pic of the second trgger you posted. The name he has next to the pic is black durgeon.
Then you got swindled. This is the main reason that I never purchased one of these triggers due to the fact that they are mistaken almost all the time.
I know what the Hawaiian black looks like because I have seen them in person off the shores of hawaii and will ONLY buy one of them. They have blue in them and are stunning.
The Indian (black durgeon) is like a boring version of the Pinktail.
IMHO - I am not sure that there is anything that you can do about this, but if you say you ordered the Melichthys Niger and got a Melichthys Indicus (which is what happened) then you should fight it....I know I would!!!

ccampbell57

The one on the left is the only one from hawaii. The one on the right is the one collected in the indian ocean and surrounding areas