Trigger in a Reef

scott9311

Has anyone had success keeping a Huna-Huna (Picasso) Trigger (or any Trigger, for that matter) in a reef tank? They are extraordinary fish and I would love to own one, but only if it's realistically possible. I have a 120 gal reef w/non-aggressive fish, coral and inverts.

benter

I have one in my fowlr, but I don't think I would put him in my reef tank..Just forgeting how HUNGRY he always is and his aggressiveness..Just the fact that he is always moving the sand around and spitting it all over the live rocks would be to much for me to handle in my reef tank...GL

sailfin

I have a pinktail trigger in mine and so far so good. I think he is developing an appetite for my hermits though. I also keep mine well fed, which I feel helps.

larrynews

i just put a blue throat trigger in my reef last week doing fine he is still hiding the naso tang chase him for time to time...i'll try to attach a picture

S

slednecks

I had a niger trigger who I had no problems with keeping him with a giant toadstool and some mushrooms. I guess they had there own personalities.

khill

I have a Clown Trigger that has been in a reef tank for about 5 years now. He has never bothered any corals.
Only problem i see is that you cannot keep any shrimp,snales or tube worms with them.

ryebread

Do a search on Planktonic Triggers. They are the most suitable triggers for reef tanks. They are always going to be a higher risk fish than your typical reef fishes.
I have kept a Niger Trigger in my reef for the last 6 months with no problems. He is still pretty small - about 4 inches now. I will probably remove him once he reaches about 6 inches. I keep Shrimp, Crabs, Snails, Clams, and a ton of other critters including around 100 corals.....no problems from mine.
As I said...it's a chance. In my experience - I would certainly not try a Huma Huma Trigger in a reef tank. Those guys tend to be pretty nasty overall and they like to "taste" just about anything they see.
Good luck.

scott9311

That's pretty impressive (Or should I say "lucky"?) that he hasn't gone after any of your inverts RyeBread. I've been told that the Niger is probably the least aggressive among the Triggers... It pretty much sounds like it's a gamble going with one... no matter which one it is. I'll probably opt for the Bluethroat or the Niger, and just keep my fingers crossed!

sweetreef

I had a clown trigger in my reef and nipped at my star polys all the time so he had to go to my friends fwlro tank...

sweetreef

its a valintini puffer they say there not reef safe and will eat shrimp and snails but dont do any of that!!!