Trigger in the reef

fishrich

I was wondering what trigger anyone has experience with in a reef tank. I'm between the pink tail or blue jaw trigger. I was hopeing someone can shine some light on their experiences with them. Thanks

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by FishRich
http:///forum/post/2869448
I was wondering what trigger anyone has experience with in a reef tank. I'm between the pink tail or blue jaw trigger. I was hopeing someone can shine some light on their experiences with them. Thanks

What do you want it to be safe with? Corals? Clean up Crew? Small Fish? All of the above?
How big a tank?
Blue Jaw and Sargassum are the safest bets all around? Pink tails won't likely bother corals, but they get largish, an 8+ inch Pinktail can be rather nasty to his tank buddies.
No guarantees from any of the Trigger family though.

fishrich

I'm leaning on getting a male bluejaw around 2 inches. My tank is a 55. But I also have a 240 I can put it in when it gets too big. I have some lps,softies and zoas/palys. I'm not too worried if I lose a snail or crab. I don't have any shrimp. I've done a lot of reading on the bluejaws so I think thats going to be my best bet.

fishrich

Yeah thats what I read and heard. They are great fish for the reef. The only issue I read is that they naturally feed on plankton so it can sometimes be hard to get them too eat. Any experience with that? Thanks!!

srfisher17

Originally Posted by FishRich
http:///forum/post/2870889
Yeah thats what I read and heard. They are great fish for the reef. The only issue I read is that they naturally feed on plankton so it can sometimes be hard to get them too eat. Any experience with that? Thanks!!
Sure, a blue jaw will eat plankton; but they are true carnivores and (IME) will willingly eat traditional trigger fare--- A variety of meaty seafood; including a many commonly kept reef inverts. I've never heard of them being picky eaters. (I know, there is one somewhere.)