Trigger with cloudy eyes

mikester311

I have a 3.5 inch pink tail trigger in my 72 gallon main tank that I just bought about a week ago. When I brought it home it was perfect. Now each of it's eyes are real cloudy. I tested my water and my Nitrates are between 20 and 30 ppm. I did a 16 gallon water change a few days ago, but the problem seems to still be the same and my Nitrates are still at about 20- 30 ppm. Should I do another water change? If so, how large? What else could be the problem? None of the other fish in tank seem to have any visable problems. Did my Nitrates get this high from feeding too much? Too often?
thanks,
mike
72gal
pink tail trigger
stripped puffer
huma huma trigger
draggon wrasse
banded morey

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Why do you have the nitrates? Give some details about your tank, filtration, type set up, etc.

mikester311

I have a 72gal Fish Only tank with a sealife systems 100 wet-dry filter and a sealife systems protein skimmer. I also have about 15lbs of live rock and a 3 inch DSB. Could part of the problem be because I need to rinse or change the filter pads?
The water paramaters are:
ph: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 20 - 30

T

thomas712

Nitrates don't seem high enough to cause a problem, could be High DOC's. Do you run a protein skimmer? What are you feeding and how often. I would think if your filter floss is dirty then you should change it, also run some carbon if you feel the water quality is low.
Have you had any large temperature swings?
Thomas

mikester311

I do run a protein skimmer. It's a Sealife systems moterized 75. It seems to do a pretty good job. I do have some filter floss in the overflow to absorb the water so it doesn't make so much noise when it splashes down. I never wanted to change it because of all the little pods and other little critters that seem to live in it. I am running a bag of carbon in my wet/dry. The temperature has been consistant and it hasn't really changed.
I usually feed a combination of krill, silversides, tigger formula, and mysis shrimp once a day.

T

thomas712

Well I know a couple of things due to reading posts from Terry and Beth.
1 Some Triggers can look as if they have a cloudy eye if viewed from certain angles.
2. There really isn't much I could write about Popeye or cloudy eye that hasn't been written before.
The first procedure always seems to be a large water change, using aged, aeriated water. Large usually means about 30 percent. You seem like you just did about a 15% H2O change.
You might get a batch ready now in case you are instructed by our experts that you should do one. You should not use freshly mixed water, this could have an affect on tender gills, and the water can still be unstable. So let it mix for at least 24 hours. If you do have a minor case of cloudy eye this could be all there is to fix the problem if indeed you have one.
Thomas

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, looking at the eyes from certian angles they seem cloudy, but you can usually distinquish this from really clouded over eyes. How is the fish doing at this point. I would suggest offering it garlic soaked food.

mikester311

The fish has cloudy eyes for sure. Like a thick haze over them. I have been giving the fish garlic soaked foods the past few days so I'll see if the problem gets any better. In the meantime, I'm think I'm also going to try another large water change to see if I can get the Nitrates down a little.

mikester311

I do have a hospital tank set up, but I have been feeding it garlic soaked foods the last few days and it's eyes have seemed to clear up. I still have planned to do another large water change too, so maybe the problem will be fixed?