Triggerfish....a Good Eating fish??

9supratt4

So I went to a spearfishing seminar last night and they said that Triggerfish are a great tasting fish. Anyone here ever eat Triggerfish??

stanlalee

never had any but yeah I've heard they make great eating but are a pain to prepare thanks to the tuff armor like exterior.

coral head

Triggers are great table fare. You need a very sharp filet knife as it feels like you are cutting through a football or basketball.
The filets are very mild; they are on my top five list.
Rick

groupergenius

Triggers rock as table fare. Tough skinned, but I allways just gut them and put the whole fish on the grill and flip after 5 minutes and cook the other side. Easier to peel the tough skin off and eat.

9supratt4

I would have never thought about eating trigger!! So I guess when I go diving at the end of August in this one spot in Jersey i'll collect them for food...

runn3rb3an

what triggers do you catch in jersey?!? Do they have them in long island I want to get my hands on a few

9supratt4

Originally Posted by runn3rb3an
http:///forum/post/3068405
what triggers do you catch in jersey?!? Do they have them in long island I want to get my hands on a few

According to my scuba instructors, who've I made good friends with and they were telling me that there is a dive site called Shark River where in late August a lot of tropical fish, including triggers end up here after being stuck in the gulf current. And since they won't survive the winter, it's basically free game.
Also, I believe the Grey Trigger is commonly associated to the Jersey coast.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3067283
Actually of all the fish we hobbyists try to keep Tangs make the best eating
My kids won't eat tangs (or other herbivores), Joe, they say they taste like vegetables. Grouper is excellent! BTW, ever see pics of the fishing docks in places like The Philippines? Big Angels (blue face, emperor, etc) are stacked like cordwood for the market. Hobbyists take such a tiny number of fish, its hardly worth mentioning. (Yes, there are a couple of exceptions.)