triggers and puffers

zuisas

I have a 150 FOWLR with a 3 inch clown trigger, 3 1/2 niger, 2 inch huma, 3 inch stars and stripes puffer, 3 inch porky puffer, and two little damsels. I really want to put a little undulated in the tank, but have heard from some that the undulate will kill everyone else, including the other triggers. Some say it can be done with lots of caves for them to stake out as their own. Will triggers, especially the undulate even kill a puffer?

cwfish

You can keep multiple triggers in a tank and some have had luck with the introduction order, raising them from juveniles, and also providing adequate shelter. It just depends on the nature of the fish. This however doesn't seem to pertain to keeping Undulated triggers. I have never had one, but have heard many stories personally and on this BB of those guys tearing up their tank mates no matter what they are living with. I wouldn't suggest adding any more fish anyway since you have quite a bio-load for a 150 already. In fact, you might have some trouble with the 2 puffers as is. Good luck.

jamiefisher

i have a 6 inch porcupine puffer and a 3 inch valintine puffer who live in perfect harmony with my 4 inch niger and 7 inch huma huma. but my sister in law went one step further and purchased a undulatted..big mistake...the fish it didnt destroy it stressed to death. if only i could make my husband see that...he wants one ever so badly.

beach bum

The undulated is an overrated fish IMO. Being "possibly the most belligerent marine aquarium fish available" is what gives this fish a mystique to go along with it's beauty, and are the only two reasons to buy one - unless of course you are 'collecting' triggerfish. The reason NOT to buy one is because they are just plain psycho. They HIDE, they DIG, and they KILL other fish - do NOT put one in your populated tank.
JMO of course, ymmv
:)

ok i understand that the undulated has a bad rep but nt all are like this i,am pretty sure that if you get a small one it will be ok but they should be put with fish that can protect themself,i had one in my 55 which was just a outright killer he killed my tess eel and my real big panther grouper , and he is now in a 100 gallon tank at my friends house and he tried putting a real big eel with in seconds eel was gone , now i hav a small undulated with
big tomato clown
clowntrigger
huma
niger
sfe
blacklionfish and no problems at times the triggers face off but no bitting just triggers showing off and making grinding noises but not fighting , so there is a chance you take but by no means is it the killer you think it is anyfish can be down right mean to anything or everything i had a angel kill a lionfish and my clown fish chases at times the other triggers around
this is just my thought for some it works for some it doesn,t :D