Triggers

ljroman85

Just wondering whats the most triggers people have put in a tank? How many can you keep in a tank without them killing eachother???

julius

I only kept 2 at a time I've had niger and a huma 2gether for 3yrs now I have a undulated and a bursa. Some ppl keep more depending on tank size.

ljroman85

I wanted to keep a few but dont want anything to die....I was wondering about how many in a 110 gal. I have read that some people say that its would be ok for just 1 but I have read and seen people have more in smaller tanks...so im not really sure what to think or go with at this point

aw2eod

Originally Posted by LJRoman85
I wanted to keep a few but dont want anything to die....I was wondering about how many in a 110 gal. I have read that some people say that its would be ok for just 1 but I have read and seen people have more in smaller tanks...so im not really sure what to think or go with at this point

In a 110, I wouldnt go anymore more than 2 (depending on species and tank mates). I've kept a total of 3 Triggers in my 200gal. tank...a Clown, Blue Throat male and a Black Durgeon.
If you truly want to be a responsible hobbiest, dont pay any attention to the people that have numerous Triggers in small systems. They either A) Dont care about the fish or B) Dont care about the fish and refuse to listen to other people who know better.
You gotta keep in mind that even the smallest species will max out around 8" - 10" and most will be considerably bigger.

ljroman85

which triggers are known to fight eachother I know like 2 humu humus will fight but which ones wont fight....i know you sometimes have to get lucky with the fish too since it has its own personality. what about clown and humu humu, niger and black, ect....Honestly if I was gonna do a tank with 2 triggers the other tank mates would probably be a toby puffer and maybe a wrasse.....but it seems like so much tank to waste on just 4 fish....

aw2eod

It's not two particular types that will fight each other.
Triggers have a set territory, that they make. As they get bigger, so does that territory. It's not just problematic fighting between Triggers, it's that the Trigger will fight any fish that enters it's "territory".

ljroman85

how did/do you like your Black Durgeon trigger? I heard they change colors when they're moods change....that sounds pretty cool to see something like that and what kinda fish did you have in your tank with the triggers??

aw2eod

Loved the Black Durgeon...it's one of my fav. fish. I picked him up at 3" - 4".
They do change colors...I saw mine change from solid black to black with green lines, to neon green, to olive green...very cool fish.
When I had my Durgeon, I had it with a 4" Clown Trigger, 8" Blue Throat Trigger, 8" Passer Angel, 8" Sailfin, 15" Volitan Lion, 30" Hawaiian Dragon Moray and a 30" Whitemouth Moray.

R

rjattack19

my gf has a humu and a niger...i dont know y they r listed as agressive because they are the 2 most peaceful fish that i have ever seen they r ALWAYS swimming together side by side :happyfish :happyfish ...they are like best friends!

S

shark bait

How many time has this been asked? This totaly is determined on tank size. A Japan Aquarium has 10 or so triggers in a trigger ony tank of 500g ( give or take a few) but from the aquarium careful selection went in to it and the clowns, titian, queen and others get along. But for us working folks we might be able to keep a humma and a niger, or a pair of crosshatch. or a pink tail with a sargasim, but it is totaly set on the tank size, and type of trigger. The anwser is how many licks dose it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop. ONE MIGHT NEVER KNOW....

aw2eod

I dont have my Durgeon anymore...but when I did have him, he was still a juvenile and was housed with a (quoted from above): 4" Clown Trigger, 8" Blue Throat Trigger, 8" Passer Angel, 8" Sailfin, 15" Volitan Lion, 30" Hawaiian Dragon Moray and a 30" Whitemouth Moray.
Those are all pretty aggressive fish (minus the Blue Throat). He was a slight pushover, but wouldnt take too much from anyone. No doubt that when he got bigger, he'd be something to contend with.
A friend of mine, who owns a LFS in Chicago, had a 10" Durgeon in a tank with a Japanese Dragon, 10" Naso and some other large fish. The Durgeon killed quite a few fish, that temporarily resided in that tank.