trip to my lfs tonight

brit0211

well, tonight i went to my LFS to check some prices and stuff...
i asked the lady if they had LR or LS and she said no
she said "why do you want that, LR can bring harmful creatures in your aquarium" she tried to convince me to get CC instead, but i explained that i was just checking prices....
then i saw that they had some new fish in...
i was looking at the yellow tangs and just asked how big of a tank they should be in (ive read on here 75+, but i just wanted to see what they'd say..) ANYWAY the worker and a random lady said "ohhh a 30 gal. EVERYTHING saltwater should be in atleast a 30 gal." but she made it seem like it would be okay for a tang in a 30, obviously i trust you guys a LOT more than those people.. so their answer made me cringe a little bit... but the point of my story is to ask a question...
should i even buy my livestock or anything for that matter from this LFS or should i just buy of this site?

karajay

It's been my experience that most LFS employees are pretty clueless about SW. However, if their tanks seem clean, you do your research ahead of time and you know what you are looking for, then it's probably OK to shop there. Always look long and hard to make sure you get a clean, healthy specimen. And in the case of fish, have them feed it, so you can see that it will eat. If they refuse, then I would take my business elsewhere.
:)

well . . . thats a loaded question there . . . . of course you should buy everything from swf.com. (can I get my free $75 dollar package now? :D )
Seriously . . . I would never buy hardware or drygoods at the LFS. Prices are too high. I would buy livestock at the LFS though. I am picky about what goes in my tank and take the attitude see before you buy.

cprdnick

I take my own flake to the LFS and feed a prospective fish while noone is looking. I trust most of the people at my LFS anyways. I know who has experience and who doesn't.

jab47303

Hey Brit - was this the place in Muncie that I told you about? Or in Richmond?
Anyway, if you want to shop where you can trust the advice, there's a place in Indy. I shouldn't mention them, as they are mostly internet based like SWF. But they do open for walk-in on certain days and it's worth a trip just to see some of the exotic critters that they sell.

D

dorie

Your first Instinct....run don't buy from that LFS....there are good shops out there....when you do find one your comfortable with, the owner will be very helpful and you should be able to trust them....If you are ever in Stockton..try Twins Aquarium..John is very knowledgable and he doesn't mind you picking his brain..prices are very reasonable........
#1 read all you can about your hobby...and ask questions...lots of questions....what works for one person may not work for you......remember don't give up....otherwise your tank will end up in storage or for sale......