Tropic Marin sucks

mujtba

I just got Tropic Marin salt.
Made new gallons of RODI water with it at 1.025 salinity.
I used the salifert MAG and CALC test kits.
RESULTS:
Calcium: 360ppm
Magnesium: 990ppm
Both well below the normal numbers. There is so much hype around this brand of salt. Did anyone else test their parameters on a fresh 'batch' of water? :thinking:
Im not too impressed with it. It was $60. I returned my $35 instant ocean for this thinking it will be good.
What salt has NORMAL calcium and magnesium??? :notsure:

viper_930

Topic Marin *Pro Reef* salt would be what you're looking for if you wanted the higher Ca and Mg levels.

crox

I wanted to switch to Tropic Marin. Currently I am using Instant Ocean but I am having problems.

phoenixfla

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
Topic Marin *Pro Reef* salt would be what you're looking for if you wanted the higher Ca and Mg levels.
I agree

mujtba

I know Tropic Marin Pro is good. They don't sell it near me. But what else is good? Tropic Marin seems to be Instant Ocean with a different brand. Its a SCAM. Anyone else test the regular tropic marin?

viper_930

Maybe. From what I have seen of other peoples' tests the Ca levels are about the same but will vary from batch to batch. The thing about the Ca in -- is that they use chelated calcium, which is harder for the corals to use. TM Pro Reef uses non-chelated calcium.

volcom69

i use ocenic and it has such a high calcium level, i always wondered how seachem salt is anyone ever try it.

T

tampausmc

ya i don't need to dose anything with tropic marin pro reef.......good stuff

mujtba

but it is not widely available. i mean i buy Calcium and Mag buffers. i dont mind ONE bit to pay $90 for my salt. Its an arm and a leg, but it can save me a lot of hassle later... I live near philadelphia, pa. any place near me who has it?

murph145

i use via aqua ocean pure pro salt
i tested the Alk CA and Mg at 1.025 with RO/DI water and got the following
Alk was 9
Ca was 440
Mg was 1370

ktsdad

Originally Posted by murph145
its made by via aqua cheaper stuff but check out well when tested
Do you still dose with this salt?
Do you get it at you LFS or online?
BTW - don't mean to hijack - saw some pictures of the new tank, looks great!

murph145

thanks there! the tanks coming along i got myself that new big clam and everything is running great except for a lil cayno on the sand
i get it at my LFS and i still make my water changes with this salt works good IMO
only thing i wish is that it would mix itself lol
for the price its good ...
its not a ton cheaper but i think a 150G bucket of the Pro ran me $48