trouble with MH

dwendler4

i am short on time so this is gonna be quick. i will be able to give more info later.
i switched from PC to MH recently and it is with much disappointment that i tell you that my corals are looking BAD. i dont have many, i have 3 different colonies of zoos, some purple mushrooms, some rics, xenia, hammer coral and trumpet coral and yes, they all look bad.
one thing that comes to mind is that i have kept the same light schedule that i used when i had my PCs, could this be the problem? should i back off the schedule?
any thoughts are appreciated. thanks.

teresaq

did you acclimate them to the new light. They are prob in shock. You should use something to difuse the light like layers of screening. Then slowly take off layers.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
did you acclimate them to the new light. They are prob in shock. You should use something to difuse the light like layers of screening. Then slowly take off layers.

In addition to this you should reduce your lighting schedule and then slowly, over the course of a few weeks bring it back to the same amount of time you were using with your PCs

hypertek99

Start with 1 hour and add another hour every week until you are back to your normal schedule. Your corals are in shock and are probably burned from intense light.

D

dennis210

Can deffinately agree that you need to acclimate to lights. Plastic black screen from hardware store will do fine. Cut lights back to 6 hrs per day and place a double layer of screen over tank, after 7 days remove one layer, after second 7 day period remove second. Leave light a 6 hrs / day, 1 week make 7, then 8, then 9, and so forth till you get to the day length you wish to use. Watch your temp throughout this acclimatization process. MH's throw more heat then PC's.