Trouble with mushroom placing

missnano

So my mom was given a mushroom, with a tank she recently bought, the guy had the mushroom strapped to a rock with a rubber band right thru the middle, i figured that was a little aggressive, he said it was not sticking when he put super glue on him.. later that night he got out of the rubber band, and went to the back of the tank by the heater, the tank is like 79 degrees so its not cold, and then i told mom to try and put him on a rock with a net around him.. HE GOT OUT OF THAT! and mom could barely find him, he was under sand in the back of the tank.. she is afraid it is going to get covered by sand and die, what can she do?

mproctor4

I've had some issues with getting mushrooms to stick as well. What has been working the best for me is to place the mushroom on my agronite (or maybe a pile of small shells on top of your sand??) and then I put a clear glass bowl on top of the mushroom--prop one edge of the bowl up a little bit with a shell (so it gets a SMALL amount of water movement)--then wait, and wait, and wait some more. One grabbed onto the agronite in a few days, the others have taken up to 3 weeks. Then when there are at least a couple of pieces of agronite on the foot of the mushroom, I superglued the agronite to a rock. I have left the rock with the mushroom out of the water for about 3 min. to dry and so far, so good. I tried putting some agronite in the bottom of a small bowl and then putting the mushroom inside of the bowl--never worked for me, no matter how tall the sides of the bowl were, the mushroom floated off. Others have said this works for them. Some people have told me that you may have to glue it multiple times also, so far I have been lucky and had one break loose and had to start over. It definately takes some patients! Personally, I would not use a rubber band on a mushroom. Good Luck

missnano

Hey, thanks for the reply. Yeah when i saw the rubber band on the mushroom i was, hmm ok, that's a different approach, i guess. I told mom that the rubber band had to go. lol. Anyways i will defiantly let her know. Hopefully this will work :)

mattyp75

You can also try cutting the top off a plastic bottle, putting some rubble in the bottom and let it choose it's own rock that way. As long as the bottle is pretty deep he shouldn't be able to float out. If you're having trouble keeping the bottle upright, you can use a magnetic algae scraper to hold it in place on the side of the tank. Just put the scraper into the bottle, press against the glass, and grab it with the magnet from outside.

i<3reefs

Bridal veil material is very cheap (50 cents a foot), and easy to use to trap a mushroom somewhere. How long they take can be pretty aggravating, I had one metallic orange mushroom foot up quickly, and the other disappeared deep into the middle of my reef. I found him a month later while adjusting my rock, pale, almost dead, footed up on base rock. I had to rebuilt my reef to figure out a way to get that mushroom light.