Troubles with Red Slime Remover

stevew

I had some red slime staring to take hold in my 75 gal tank, I used Red Slime Remover by UltraLife Reef Products. What was a very stable tank has beeing crashing, Two dead fish, one dead starfish, other fish not eating.
All tank parameters OK, Ammonia, Trates, Trites all essentially Zero, Temp 79, PH 8.2 etc. No variance in these readings in the last year.
I do 5 gals of water change per week, use RO water to top off.
The only variable I can think of is the Red Slime Remover, is this possible?, has this happened with anyone else?
Looking for advice, have no idea what to do.

buzz

I just recently used it myself, with no problems to fish, corals, inverts, anything...
It even states that it is completely harmless on the package.
The only thing it did for me was to make my skimmer go nuts.
But I used it on 2 tanks, with no problems. Check your alkalinity too.

sterling

I have used it also with no apparent ill effects. My skimmer went into "overtime" also. Do you have a skimmer? if you don't, that could be the problem.

bluemarlin

I have used it with terrifiying results. None of my fish died but I lost every single mushroom that I had in the tank. The bottle said it was reef safe and I dosed per the instructions. Total devastation of my mushroom popluation. I will NEVER use it again.

bluemarlin

Actually, because of this experience with the Red SLime Remover, I am very particular as to what gets dosed into my tank. Fool me once...

I had a brief encounter with cyano. All I did was syphon out the patches when I did my bi-weekly water changes. Within a month it was all gone, and hasn't been back since. ;)

S

simm

IMO if you have to go with a chemical to remove red slime. (which Iam right now) CHEMI-CLEAN IMO works the best. Iv used it for over 2 years with no problems with stock.

dindi

Not to hijack the thread but when I syphon my red slime more sand than slime goes up my tube, it appears that the red slime is heavier than the sand, I cannot get rid of it:mad:

frankl15207

No problem with it when it was used but...
There is a warning on the bottle that cautions that the product may cause a sudden drop in ph and oxygen levels.
Since cyano generally forms in low current areas, the problem may be due to insufficient circulation and low saturated oxygen levels.
I agree that it is best to remove it manually and either change water flow or increase the current to prevent it from coming back.

flamehawk

Hope you did not overdose. Have used it twice on my tanks w/ great results. SOrry for your loss. I don't know how long your tank has been up and running but if I were you I'd do a major water change and keep doing it every 2-3 days until all is ok.