true blue frag

eastland

I was looking for color in my tank, and decided on this blue sponge. Does anyone have advice to lend that would accellerate growth ? I have not seen a piece like this posted, and since I love to frag stuff, the pic is one of 5 pieces I split the original into. Blame on reefkprz, he has everyone fraggin their stuff.

reefkprz

planktonic foods are about the only way to speed there growth up at all, food availability dictates growth rate.
thats a nice sponge.

teen

ive got a bunch in my tank, but it doesnt like light, so it grows under most of the rocks.

appaloosa1

The LFS had several pieces of that recently. They started growing pretty quickly in their tank and attaching to rock, I don't think they are doing anything to special either. They are really pretty, to pretty for me to buy and maybe kill!

reefforbrains

Indonesian Blue sponge, Awesome when they get larger. Very quick growers.
I have one in the mini but its down deep in the rockwork so I never see it unless I move the rockwork. Always shocked at the growth increase when I sit and actually look at it.

appaloosa1

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
Indonesian Blue sponge, Awesome when they get larger. Very quick growers.
I have one in the mini but its down deep in the rockwork so I never see it unless I move the rockwork. Always shocked at the growth increase when I sit and actually look at it.
are they pretty easy to keep? maybe i'll see if i can get one of the broken pieces at the LFS

reefforbrains

Originally Posted by Appaloosa1
are they pretty easy to keep? maybe i'll see if i can get one of the broken pieces at the LFS

If water is good and you have a stable tank. Just grab a tiny nug of one and toss it into the rockwork.
no need for light, no special spot feedings or otherwise. Just basically ignore it and it will flourish in a healthy stable tank given there is food in the water column.
Very prone to death by trapped airbubbles with the blue ones. All handling and transfer should be done underwater at all times.
Takes just a few moments of being exposed and they turn white and disintigrate overnight.