true display refugium

import

Hi all, I've been lurking around this site for the longest. Finally decided to join. Currently, I have a 125gl FOWLR with no fishes yet. 2 QT tank. A 10gl for copper and a 20gl for QT'ing new fishs for a couple of weeks. ( learn the hard way when i first started this saltwater hobby 3 months ago.) Well, the question that I have is, what is the best way to route a true display refugium? ( it will have inverts in it and a seahourse.) It will be a 25gl tank, but dont know what the best flow rate for it is. Im planning to feed the fuge tank with the display water, and let the return go thru a UV sterilizer before going back in the main tank. Also, what would be some good plants to go with? Some thing to control the nitrates and clean the water at the same time? Any help is appreciated.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by import
Hi all, I've been lurking around this site for the longest. Finally decided to join. Currently, I have a 125gl FOWLR with no fishes yet. 2 QT tank. A 10gl for copper and a 20gl for QT'ing new fishs for a couple of weeks. ( learn the hard way when i first started this saltwater hobby 3 months ago.) Well, the question that I have is, what is the best way to route a true display refugium? ( it will have inverts in it and a seahourse.) It will be a 25gl tank, but dont know what the best flow rate for it is. Im planning to feed the fuge tank with the display water, and let the return go thru a UV sterilizer before going back in the main tank. Also, what would be some good plants to go with? Some thing to control the nitrates and clean the water at the same time? Any help is appreciated.
Here is my display refuge. It sits right next to my display 210 tank. It is fed by a mag drive 5, so as not to give it too much flow, but still enough to help denitrate my tank.
I use chaetomorpha, red kelp, halimedia, and caulerpa in my refuge, as well as xenia. (Plus, I have 8 or 9 other coral frags, and a mandarin).

import

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Here is my display refuge. It sits right next to my display 210 tank. It is fed by a mag drive 5, so as not to give it too much flow, but still enough to help denitrate my tank.
I use chaetomorpha, red kelp, halimedia, and caulerpa in my refuge, as well as xenia. (Plus, I have 8 or 9 other coral frags, and a mandarin).
Nice setup also. what pump is used to return the water?

lion_crazz

Sure, no problem. As I said, it sits next to my display tank, and has its own stand and all. The mag drive that feeds it sits in my sump. The water flows in on the right, and it is drained via gravity back down to the sump through the 2 drains on the left. I use 2 drains, so that if one gets clogged, at least I still have another one to drain water back to the sump. I have never had either of them get clogged though, but it is a nice precaution.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by import
Nice setup also. what pump is used to return the water?
Since it is on a stand and is higher than the sump, gravity returns it back to the sump. The stand is great because I do not have to really bend over too much to look at it. Plus, when I am sitting in front of it, it is at eye level.

import

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Since it is on a stand and is higher than the sump, gravity returns it back to the sump. The stand is great because I do not have to really bend over too much to look at it. Plus, when I am sitting in front of it, it is at eye level.
Thanks for the info Lion. Hopefully i can get this plumbing done in the coming weeks.

psusocr1

i basically did the same thing lion did(thanks for the idea lion), all of my cheato , caulpera etc. is over the the left so you cant see it, i keep alot of coral in there as well as some small fish