True/False Percula's....

bpaul1201

ok whats the diffrence between the two?
are they the same species just different colors or totaly different species altogether? i know as of now that its main the color but any more info would be great!

p.s. and do both come in black and white?

B

brstwv

True Percula Clownfish (Amphiprion percula) is a species from the Indo-Pacific region. There is quite a bit of variation in markings among individuals. A. percula have three white bars. As adults, the bars are often bordered in black, which varies in width. In some individuals it may extend from margin to margin replacing quite a bit of the orange color. The middle bar normally has a forward projection.
The true perculas have 11 dorsal spines compared to the Ocellaris who usually have have 10 dorsal spines.
The two species do not have overlapping distributions. A. percula are found in Northern Queensland and Melanesia, while A. ocellaris are found in the Andaman sea, the Indo-Malayan Archipelago, Philippines, northwestern Australia, coast of southeast Asia northward to the Ryukyu Islands.
True Perculas at approximately 8 - 9 months of age, which is before adult coloration is complete. Once fish are placed in a reef aquarium with strong lighting, the coloration usually develops more black patterns. Some aquarists believe associations with anemones can influence coloration as well.
False Percula Clownfish- (Amphiprion ocellaris) - Generally, most False Perculas are bright orange with 3 complete white stripes. A black line borders these stripes. A.ocellaris does not have a thick black margin around the white bars like True Perculas usually do.
Both species are easy to keep in aquariums. They prefer the carpet anemones as host species, usually H. magnifica, S. gigantea , S. mertensii or S. haddoni. H. magnifica and S. gigantea are extremely difficult to keep, so S. mertensii or S. haddoni are preferred for aquariums
Yes both come in black and white
True Percula- Black Onyx
Ocellaris-Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish
Hope this helps

bpaul1201

thanks man this helped alot!! now i know i want a true percula. i just wanted to make sure that i'm not being given false info from fish store!
one more thing can you keep a mated pair with a few that arent mated or will this cause problems! and i was thinking about a rbta as a host, even if they dont it still looks pretty!

dawman

Do not keep more than two adult size in the same tank . Mated pair or not . They will fight to death and you might lose your mated pair or one of them . A RBTA should be a good host , but there is no garuntee they will host . Some clowns will host right away , some take months , and some don`t .

aquaguy24

don't forget the price diference..
true clowns can cost three times more then a false clown..mated true clowns can cost 100 bucks...

dawman

Most mated pairs are in the $200-$300 range . I wish I seen a pair for only $100 . Ocellaris and Percula clowns are usually only a few $ away from each other . If you see perculas three times more as a ocellaris they are trying to rip you .

bpaul1201

thanks everyone! yea i just got lr into my tank and i still about 2months from the fish so i was curious. i have a 14g biocube. my lfs get true percs from a breeder for $85 dollars and is willing to sell them to me at $110. i would like to maybe wait a while longer til rods reef starts shipping to maybe get a pair of those beautiful percs but i'm thinking its going to take a while before that!
as far as the rbta i know that they may/not host but it is still a very beautiful creature! but other then this i was planning of a yellow watchman goby with the pair of percs and a few corals! then i'm saving up for the big tank....looking at a 90-150g tanks!