true vs. false perc

perfectdark

Amphiprion percula are true perc's, Amphiprion ocellaris are false perc's. I dont know why they call them Percula Clownfish on this site, its been brought up before. But the picture appears to be a false perc, and the scientific name reinforces that.

ccampbell57

True percs have thick black bands around the white on their bodies. IMO the true percs are more aggressive and are therefore more territorial. These guys will host about anything you put in your tank.
False percs are the pictures that they have posted on SWF.com. They have thin black stripes. They are usually much hardier then the true percs.

earlybird

Do both true and false eventually have a darker back? My "false" percs are getting a dark shade on their backs.

perfectdark

From what I have read the main reason you cannot tell the difference based on color alone is because there are soo many different color morphs of each species. Generally the False percs do have and remain to have a thin black line around the white whereas the true percs tend to have more black inbetween the white or even sometimes consuming the entire body. Hence the onyx perc. which is really a true perc with a rare color morph.
There are 2 visual ways of determining a true from a false that I have read about. One being counting the spines on the dorsal fin. The other seems eaiser to me and from what I have witnessed appears to be accurate too. Its looking at the eyes. A false perc has a tea colored ring around its pupil whereas a true perc has a bright orange circle. Seems odd but so far its held up, but I know I havent seen them all LOL

nano reefer

a true perc is a percula clownfish.
a false perc is an ocellaris clown fish.
The differences are that the trues have more of an interesting black color and have 11 fins instead of 10. I like trues the best but false ones are great as well. The best i have seen was a true-false hybrin, looked like a false, but it had a much brighter orange and the colors were very precise (false perc colors tend to fade as they get older).