Trying Berlin method in aggressive tank.

reeferdc

Ok so im about to change my filtration type to the berlin method. my tank is 75 gallons and I plan on getting about 60 pounds of LR and getting a prtein skimmer rated for a 150 or 200 gallon tank. I plan on useing no carbon or other method of friltration.... I will also have a few powerheads running in the tank.
Does anyone have any experience with this filtration method and is there anything you can sugest i do to make this successfull? Is it smart to use this filtration method with aggressive fish??
Thanks,
Dcreefer

biohazard

Im thinking your gonna need more than 60lbs of rock for your tank's size if thats gonna be your sole means of filtration. I was going to set my tank up that way and they said I would need 50lbs for my 29gallon. Just a thought.

birdy

Personally I like a modified Berlin. I agree with a lot of LR, a very shallow sandbed, and a overrated skimmer (get a good one, like a ASM). But I do like the use of Carbon, and refugiums. Lots of water changes.

stanlalee

I pretty much do it that way. Have about 30lbs of liverock (30 gallon tank), protien skimmer and thats it. occasionally I run carbon thru a HOB filter but for the most part its just used to circulate water. I'll probably eventually add a sump just for the capacity.

ricks280

reefer,
thats the way my tank is set up and i havent got problems, i do a 15% water change every two weeks. (tank is 280 gal)
rick.