Trying to get back into the hobby

Hey guys I'm trying to get back into the hobby after being out of it for a while and was looking for some input. Someone was telling me if I have a fish only tank I could use tap water. What are your thoughts? I was under the understanding you needed distilled water. I was going to look into a water purifier for the home and was told this. Thoughts?

kirshman

There's several reasons I wouldn't just use tap. The first is even towns that don't regularly chlorine use it to clean their systems occasionally, and that's death to fish. The other reason I wouldn't is it usually has to much nutrients and other junk that's just gonna grow algae.

one-fish

A RODI unit was my first purchase, if you look around you can find one reasonably priced. Remember its all about water quality. Use it for drinking water also makes the best sweet tea.

lmforbis

Agreed. I use my RO system for drinking and cooking. I have it plumbed into my fridge for ice and cold water. It only goes through the DI resin for the tank.

It really depends on what your bioload is going to be. Any thoughts?
Not sure yet. I won't start putting it together until after the 1st. I'm just in the planning stage right now. The one I had from my LPS looks like a generic CPR and they said it would be good for my 75 but if it is like the CPR it is only good for about 60 gallons. I'm pretty sure that was one of my problems I was having before. Can you over skim? For 20.00 more it seems like the 2000 for up to 200 gallons would be the way to go.

snakeblitz33

Yes, you can buy a protein skimmer so big that it doesn't skim at all. I made that mistake before. I'd go with the 150, to be honest. Usually, you would want to go by (tank gallons) plus one. So typically the next size up would be a 100g.

If you are going to have some hard to keep corals that need meaty feedings or if you are going to have a lot of fish, then by all means, get the biggest one you can. But, remember, the further you push your tanks limits, the harder it will fall if a piece of equipment fails or one of your livestock dies.

Yes, you can buy a protein skimmer so big that it doesn't skim at all. I made that mistake before. I'd go with the 150, to be honest. Usually, you would want to go by (tank gallons) plus one. So typically the next size up would be a 100g.

If you are going to have some hard to keep corals that need meaty feedings or if you are going to have a lot of fish, then by all means, get the biggest one you can. But, remember, the further you push your tanks limits, the harder it will fall if a piece of equipment fails or one of your livestock dies.
No corals but I do usually like a number of fish. I appreciate the info.