Trying to move a fish - having issues

nyhcx516x

I emptied all the rock from my 8 gallon, trying to move my yellow watchman to my bigger tank. Well, the little guy is hiding in the rock itself.
I would move the rock into my larger tank... but I have a concern.
A while back, I had something in my little tank killing my snails, some smaller snail it seemed. I got the one out that I saw. But still have not been able to keep snails alive. So... I dont want to introduce the rock into the larger tank for fear of introducing something bad.
Any ideas how to get the little guy outta there? Hes VERY skittish.

salt life

if you know what rock he is in put it back in the tank and shake it or maybe you can dip it in a bucket of RO water and then net him quickly

nyhcx516x

shook it for a while... hes not coming out.
what would a fresh water dip do? think it would make him come out?

cj_build

get a plastic water bottle, cup the top off where it starts to get big (make sure the opening is big enough for the fish to enter). Then insert it back into itself but backwards. Put a fishing line on it (so you can fish it out with out spooking the fish). Then put his favorite food in it and wait.
I did this with a yellow tail damsel it worked great and cost very little.
Hope this helps

E

eric b 125

that's an awesome idea. i literally just had to tear my aquascape up in order to take out a vlamingi tang. it was horrible! moving 130 lbs LR, scaring all the fish. it had to be done, but i wish i had this idea days ago...

salt life

Originally Posted by NYHCx516x
http:///forum/post/2966948
shook it for a while... hes not coming out.
what would a fresh water dip do? think it would make him come out?
yeah he might it is worth a try but I would try the bottle idea first, might take a while but won't be stressful on the fish.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by NYHCx516x
http:///forum/post/2966922
I emptied all the rock from my 8 gallon, trying to move my yellow watchman to my bigger tank. Well, the little guy is hiding in the rock itself.
I would move the rock into my larger tank... but I have a concern.
A while back, I had something in my little tank killing my snails, some smaller snail it seemed. I got the one out that I saw. But still have not been able to keep snails alive. So... I dont want to introduce the rock into the larger tank for fear of introducing something bad.
Any ideas how to get the little guy outta there? Hes VERY skittish.
What is your SG at? Likely the snails were dying from improper acclimation, low SG, or not enough food for them. None of that would effect the fish, nor cross contaminate.

nyhcx516x

SG is good, tank is filled with algae. If anything, I slack big time on water changes.
Its likely that there is nothing to worry about, but that one time in the past i actually saw someting bothersome is enough to make me paranoid.
I am going to try the plastic bottle method when I get home from work today.
After that, I may be diligent with the tank for a while, and if all looks good, move the rock to the bigger tank.
I have to get rid of the little one, 2 tanks to too much for me right now.

nyhcx516x

I made a fish trap, but when i looked in the tank, he was hanging out on the other side... and i jumped in there and took the problem rock out, after that, it was easy!
Hes acclimating now!