Tube Anemone - It fell apart!

Help. I just tried to put a newly acquired tube anemone into my aquarium and it fell apart in three pieces before I got it to the substrate.
Does this mean I have three now or is it just one in very bad shape?
Should I take out the pieces before they foul the water?
Should I be unhappy with my LFS for not giving me more instruction?
:help:

viper_930

The worm itself broke into three peices, or did it's tube fall apart? If it was the worm then I have no clue, but if the tube fell apart you should discard the peices but not the worm.

When I checked it this morning, it was alive and out....I will just discard the part that separated., how should I feed it? I bought a bottle of Phytoplankton, would this be enough?..many thanks

bcollie

What is in three pieces? It's casing? The casing looks like a glob encrusted with sand. Tube anemones don't like to be messed with...they will leave their casing. They don't like exceptionally strong light..provide shade.
My purple tube anemone abandoned it's casing 4 times...apparently it was not happy with my placement. It is now between a fragment of lr and lr...shaded from the lights and appears to be very happy.
I offer tiny bits of shrimp, oyster, fish to my tube anemone...if it is hungry, it will take the offerings.
What color is your tube anemone? Mine is a deep purple with bright kelly green tentacles around it's mouth...it is simply gorgeous. The good thing about tube anemones is that you can have more than one!
Oh!..they do regrow their casing.:D

bizzle

I just pu phyto in my tank and mine is doing great. I have it in the center of my tank and any food that passes by it will grab. I don't spot feed or intentially feed it though. Light and good flow should be enough.

It's purple color but the casing is encrusted with sand...I moved him this morning and rmeoved the casing that separated..Unitl now, it hasn't come out yet.

bizzle

I don't feed mine at all. It collects frozen food and flake that passes by. I add phyto to my take almost everyday for all of my corals. I also add DTs oyster eggs. I don't spot feed the anenemone though.