Tube worm question..

eng50

I just got a pink tube worm, or feather duster if you like, and my questions are these..
When I put him in the tank, his tube was quite weak in the middle and following covering him in sand the feathers are coming out of the sand. It is as if the tube is ruptured, and the feathers are not traveling to the end of the tube sticking up out of the sand!! What if anything do I do? Will he grow a new end? Do I remove the end he is not using? Silly question, but I want to do what is best for it if it will live!
Thank you,
Bill

dillybobs

If your feather duster is healthy it will rebuild its tube. (Cool to watch if you get that chance). The thing to watch for is decrowning of the feathers. From what I have learned this is stress related. If the tube overcomes the stress, a new crown will apear in a few weeks. You may also see the feathers break away, then the tips will grow back. not sure what you can do if he is not healthy, but if he is, leave him alone.

eng50

Well, he has started to rebuild a new tube from the middle of the old one! about 1/4 inch in several days! Pretty neat to see..
Thank you,
Bill