Tunze Skimmer Ratings / Opinions

funkyman

I am currently in the process of setting up a 120 reef tank, which will also have a 40 gallon sump. I bought an ASM G4 skimmer, which once I got it, is a friggin monster. :scared: Before anyone asks, I deliberately bought the G4 since I anticipate having a 180 gallon (or larger) tank down the road.
I know the ASM'S are outstanding skimmers, and I have no intention on getting rid of it. What I am contemplating though, is getting a skimmer with a smaller foot print for this 120 setup. The ASM pretty much takes up the whole skimmer compartment in my sump which is going to make it difficult to get my plumbing in there too, and comes within 1"-2" of the bottom of the main tank (height).
I just became aware Tunze makes a line of skimmers. Is anyone out there utilizing one? If so, what are your opinions (either pro or con) as I am contemplating getting one :notsure: (a DOC 9010, or comparable older model).

daytonaree

go with it I,m going to run a ASM G4x on my 150 gallon a 180 would need a ASM G5 depending on the bio load. Your in the park on the skimmer you bought its a monster but it the most important part of your system.

funkyman

Here's what I'm up against. I can probably make it work, but it's going to be pretty tight. I'll have to reach in and up to get the skimmer bowl. I also have to have to have the pump in the back because if it was the other way around, the skimmer is directly under the holes in the tank for the drain and return.
The limbo stick symbolizes what will be the bottom of the tank.