Turbo Snails Dying, Why??

scary

WHAT COULD BE CAUSING MY HEALTHY TURBO SNAILS TO START DYING.
I LOST ONE ABOUT A WEEK AGO AND NOW 2 MORE ARE NOT LOOKING WELL. THEY ARE LYING ON THEIR SHELLS WITH THEIR OPENING UP.
MY SHRIMP , HERMIT CRABS AND DAMSELS AND EMERALD CRAB ARE ALL WELL (SO FAR) AND MY READING ARE GOOD. I HAVE A 29 GALLON HEX WITH 35 POUNDS OF LIVE ROCK AND 2 INCHES OF LIVE SAND.
COULD THEY NOT BE GETTING ENOUGH TO EAT??
THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

scary

COULD MY SALT BE TOO HIGH IT IS AT 1.027 RIGHT NOW , I NEED TO GET SOME CLEAN WATER AND GET THAT DOWN.
YOU KNOW THE SAYING : HOW SNAILS DIE IF YOU PUT SALT ON THEM.
COULD MY SALT READING BEING HIGH HAVE THIS EFFECT ON THEM?

Turbos if thet fall off the glass r rocks and land on their shells can't filp themselves over so they drown.You have to flip'em over.

57chev

Scary, Ive had reef up for 8 yrs now and been real lucky and have had very few deaths. Whats weird is for a while now like you I couldnt seem to keep snails alive. Two cheap charlie things you might wanna try: Make sure you have a ground rod in your tank, you'll hear people talking about lateral line disease on fish if you dont have one, but what I've learned is that it effects a lot more, there only 12 to 20 bucks. The next thing is your reef spec gravity should be 1.025. 1.027 is a little high, try to use a refractometer if you can, the plastic floater gauges are never on the mark. But the biggie is acclimation, use the drip method, and give it at least one hour per thousand on your spec gravity. For example, if the water the snails come in with is 1.023 and your reef is 1.025 then your going to acclimate 2 hours on the drip. Good luck

ctgretzky9

Originally posted by scary
THEY ARE LYING ON THEIR SHELLS WITH THEIR OPENING UP.

You have to help them flip over...most cannot get off their backs. Ive found mine like this every once in a while. If they fall off the glass or rocks and land on their backs, they become a tasty morsel if you don't give them a hand.

scary

I NEVER HEARD ABOUT THEM DROWING!!!! HE IS A VERY LARGE TURBO AND I BET THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED. I HAVE JUST FLIPPED HIM OVER -
I HOPE I AM NOT TOO LATE TO SAVE HIM - HE HAS A GREAT PURPLE SHELL AND IS REALLY ACTIVE.
THEY SHOULD TELL YOU THAT AT THE LSF . IT IS SUCH A BASIC FACT.
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR INPUT!

X

xnikki118x

Yeahh, please turn off your caps lock. :)
I didn't know turbos could drown...I've seen mine fall on their backs and come back rightside-up lots of times. They like stick their foot out and turn themselves over. How exactly could they drown? That's interesting...

ctgretzky9

I dont think they ever "drown". I think they just become easy prey for predators, or I guess could starve pretty soon.
My LFS people were actually the ones who told me this years ago. They tell everyone who buys them to make sure they are upright-dont just dump them in the tank and walk away.
Most do turn over themselves, but I have seen one or two have trouble where I had to intervene.

scary

Thank you everyone for your replies
I flipped all my snails and everyone is now doing great! :cheer:
I never thought I would have to be such a babysitter to these guys!
also, I stink at chatroom lingo - whats BTW mean?
Sorry 'bout the caps. I will never YELL again. (I'm learning)

ctgretzky9

LOL...yea, those poor little guys need a little help every once in a while!
no prob on the help , everyone here is very nice and very knowledgeable. Im still an intermediate, but there are many on these boards who have incredible tanks and really know almost everything.
BTW means by the way, IMO means in my opinion (this one annoys me however since i feel 90% is an opinon anyway!)
the rest you'll learn :)
Welcome to the board, and ask anything!

Originally posted by xnikki118x
Yeahh, please turn off your caps lock. :)
I didn't know turbos could drown...I've seen mine fall on their backs and come back rightside-up lots of times. They like stick their foot out and turn themselves over. How exactly could they drown? That's interesting...

Turbos can not turn themselves over.The snails you see use their foot to turn over are'nt turbos and yes they do actually drown.