Turbo snails keep dying

misteramerica

My turbo snails keep dying. All of my parameters look good and I'm not having any trouble with fish, cleaner shrimp, or brittle star. Any ideas?

jtt

often times turbos will fall off a rock or glass or somehow end up on the side of their shell where they cant pick themselves back up and they die real quick. i need to rescue my turbos allll the time because they somehow fall and its like a turtle stuck upside down on the back of his shell.

J

justin podolan

Do you have enuff food for them ? I have had some die cuz there was no more algae.

pbnj

Originally Posted by JTT
http:///forum/post/2955849
often times turbos will fall off a rock or glass or somehow end up on the side of their shell where they cant pick themselves back up and they die real quick. i need to rescue my turbos allll the time because they somehow fall and its like a turtle stuck upside down on the back of his shell.
I used to rescue them too, but I stopped a while ago. Takes some time, but mine always get back on the feet, or should I say foot.....even the larger ones.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by misteramerica
http:///forum/post/2955858
Yes, I have lots of brown algae. That's why I'm a little concerned. I'm afraid it will get out of control.
They will eat some diatoms (brown algae) but they cannot only have that. This is the problem with adding a cleanup crew too early. There is not enough natural food for them to eat. You have to clean diatoms yourself. The cleanup crew will only pick at some of it. Diatoms get bad, then they die off and the brown is no more. It can be ugly for awhile, but it is only temporary, and is completely natural. After the diatom bloom you will start to get the kinds of algae that a CC will actually eat and thrive from.

misteramerica

Okay, thanks. That makes the most sense. The brown algae has been growing for about 6 months now. Can you tell me how long I can I expect it to keep growing before it cycles out?

spiderwoman

Then it's not the temp... I've lost quite a few Mexican turbos in my tank before I figured out that my temp and them don't mix.

thebeadlady

I think I added my cleaners to soon ... seems like it looks like there is lots of food and yet not enough of the right kind of food.
How can we tell when is a good time to add snail, crabs, soft corals...easy to feed fish...

bizzmoneyb

do they die soon after being put in the tank? are you acclimating them right? snails dont do well with sudden changes in salinity. maybe check the salinity of the water from wherever your getting them and compare it to whats in your tank.