Turbo Twist UV- What kind of powerhead to run it?

cbrynolf

Any one out there have a turbo twist UV sterilizer? If so what are you using to pump the water? What powerheads are recommended for use with this unit?
Thanks!
Chris

squidd

Penguin 550 runs 145 gph clear about 100-125 gph through UV...good flow speed
Mag 7 ...? WAY too fast... Try to keep the flow rate under 200...more like 100 to 150 gph...
The slower rate gives the UV light more exposeure time to kill the algae and organisims it was designed to...
Too fast a speed and they lose efficency big time...
I run a canister filter 295 gph for carbon and phosphate removal and then split the return 1/2 to 1/3 through UV...("T" and ball valves)

derrikd

in is away from the pump so it is slower plus i want a little faster than normal, cant rember exatly but there was something in there i read where if i speed it up alittle that it will not kill some thing in there i do not want to kill but a 6x is 240gph to 500 gph, im more at 450gph.

squidd

The 18 watt Turbo Twist filter is good for "up to a 250" gallon "tank"...
The "recomended" flow rate for that unit is 200 to 300 gph...
I highly recomend staying at the LOW end of that ...more like 150...

derrikd

if you look at the last page in a 6x book says, for "88gph to 572gph.
110 parasites, 240 algae, 500 bacteria. recomended is 200-400 gallons per hour. but look at chart in back for further info", this is right from the book...

squidd

110 sounds about right for parasites...and why I reccomend 100 to 150...
At 450gph all your killing is bacteria and leaving the algae and parasites...:notsure:

cbrynolf

CINCYREEFER,
How do you have it all connected? Does the powerhead push water through the sterilizer our pull water through the sterilizer?
Thanks!
Chris

cincyreefer

Pushes water through it
In order...
1. powerhead in tank/sump
2. 1/2 inch tubing connecting powerhead and UV
3. Into inlet of UV
4. Through the sterilizer and the outlet
5. Back into the tank/sump through 1/2 inch tubing

squidd

I run a UV on my aggressive FOWLR and no UV on my reef tanks and get about the same coraline growth rate in both tanks...perhaps a little more in the FOWLR...
I try to maintain the same Calcium/Alk levels in both tanks (450 /11.2DKH) The levels in the FOWLR remain fairly stable while the Reef tank levels vary a bit due to coral consumption...
Would it grow "faster" without the UV...? I don't think so and with the reasonable growth I do see , I'm not inclined to turn it off..

badkharma

How badly would a UV unit increase the tank temp? I'm planning on adding a turbo twist soon but my tank is already 80 F (house temp is kept at 77 F). Will it make much of a difference?

squidd

Depending on which unit you get, there only 9,18 or 36 watts...
Your powerheads and return pump will add more heat/energy than that...
As the water doesn't really even "touch" the bulb, heat transference should be minimal, if any...

cbrynolf

Cincyreefer Help!
Maybe they changed the penguin 550 but I can't even get 5/8 ID tubing around the outlet of the powerhead let alone trying to use 1/2". Any ideas?
Chris

badkharma

I just bought a turbotwist 3x last weekend now, and what a difference!! My fish look like they're swimming in air - and for that reason, the colors are coming out very nice! I also see no decrease in pods or coraline, mind you I've only had it running for 3 days, so we'll see what happens. I used a Rio400 for the pump, it's working well. Total cost was $110, and right now I'm running it HOB (I'm getting a new tank with built in overflows, etc in August).