Turbocharger Question

roofis

Ok guys. I sold my vw the other day on ---- and the guy came and picked her up. I got close to 9k on her. I COULDN"T BELIEVE IT!!! (all i really wanted was about 4k). Anywho, I am looking at getting a Saab 9-3 convertible w/ the 2.0 Turbo. It comes stock w/ a turbocharger, I really dont' care much about it other than it might help w/ the lack of REAL power, but my question is this: How do people make that cool "air wisp" sound w/ the turbo's? I know that it isn't a stock sound. Is it a turbo amp kit, or what? If you know, please, help me find something that will work for it...aka, webpages or what not. I really do want that cool sound.
Anyhow, thank you for all your help. Selling the vw has kept me out of here for like a week. Now, I'm back.

crashedin0

score car Q i got this
the whisp sound is air presure leaving your blow off valve
the blow off valve let out all the presure between the turbo and intake manifold
thus leting the turbo spool up faster getting rid of lag time
to make that sound u would probly need more pressure than the stock turbo can push
so you probly wouldnt want to spend $1000 on a set up for just the sound
if you get lucky it might make that sound by just instailing the blow off valve but not sure
just look on ---- for a blow off valve or "BOV" and ask around local shop how much to hook it up and there thought on the quality of the sound if you do just the blow off valve

thangbom

um... is it the bov vettign that you wqant or the turbo spooling ???... and if it is the bov ventting that u want.. make shure it's atmopheric vettting bov.. and no thte recirculationg bov cuvv the -- dont make thoo ssppphhhh noise... but before u go out and do crazy reading on stuff and get confused.. in most casses.. you just have to rev your engine pass the turbo boost and let go of the pedle and it should ssppphhh .... ( like high reving your rpm.. that is what you do to get the turbo to spool fast enough to kick in..)

socal57che

Dude
I drove a couple saab 9-3 turbos while shopping for a car a few months ago. My wife's stock (except for cold air kit) BMW Z-3 w/2.8 5sp will smoke a saab turbo so bad they wouldn't even know which way we went. I would drive a few other cars first to see which ones really make power and what aftermarket mods are readily available for them.
ps It's more fun to smoke people with a stock looking/sounding car anyway...and saabs are way too pricy for what they offer. My stock 4runner w/270 hp V8 surprises all the Hondas as I smoke the tires leaving them behind at stop lights. The old twin turbo dodge stealth/mitsu 3000gts with a turbo upgrade, exhaust and intake would smoke all 4 tires and get plain stupid if you redlined it then dropped the hammer. WAY FUN. (this is also hard on the transfer unit)

Just don't buy too soon cuz the money's burnin a hole in your pocket.....drive a lot of cars...research the upgrade possibilities and have some fun!!!
Good Luck!!

drew2005

Originally Posted by Roofis
Ok guys. I sold my vw the other day on ---- and the guy came and picked her up. I got close to 9k on her. I COULDN"T BELIEVE IT!!! (all i really wanted was about 4k). Anywho, I am looking at getting a Saab 9-3 convertible w/ the 2.0 Turbo. It comes stock w/ a turbocharger, I really dont' care much about it other than it might help w/ the lack of REAL power, but my question is this: How do people make that cool "air wisp" sound w/ the turbo's? I know that it isn't a stock sound. Is it a turbo amp kit, or what? If you know, please, help me find something that will work for it...aka, webpages or what not. I really do want that cool sound.
Anyhow, thank you for all your help. Selling the vw has kept me out of here for like a week. Now, I'm back.
I have the Saab 9-3 2.0T. Not convertible tho. Unfortunately you cant put a blow off valve on the turbo. Due to the saab trionic8 computer it throws the check engine light and and doesnt function properly. However there is a air intake, which i have, that sounds just like a BOV. You can reprogram the computer for an extra 38hp over stock. Then by adding a full exhaust with downpipe you can add 58hp for a total of 268hp. Unfortunately thats about all you can do to this car. Well aside from cosmetic. Check this site out www.saabcentral.com lots of info.

drew2005

Originally Posted by socal57che
Dude
I drove a couple saab 9-3 turbos while shopping for a car a few months ago. My wife's stock (except for cold air kit) BMW Z-3 w/2.8 5sp will smoke a saab turbo so bad they wouldn't even know which way we went. I would drive a few other cars first to see which ones really make power and what aftermarket mods are readily available for them.
ps It's more fun to smoke people with a stock looking/sounding car anyway...and saabs are way too pricy for what they offer. My stock 4runner w/270 hp V8 surprises all the Hondas as I smoke the tires leaving them behind at stop lights. The old twin turbo dodge stealth/mitsu 3000gts with a turbo upgrade, exhaust and intake would smoke all 4 tires and get plain stupid if you redlined it then dropped the hammer. WAY FUN. (this is also hard on the transfer unit)

Just don't buy too soon cuz the money's burnin a hole in your pocket.....drive a lot of cars...research the upgrade possibilities and have some fun!!!
Good Luck!!
I have to disagree on the saab being pricey. You can get a 2006 9-3 Aero which now comes with a turbo v6 for around $33,000. Thats not bad considering your getting leather, heated seats, sunroof, climate control, 250hp engine, 300w sound system. Not bad for an entry level sport sedan.

reefraff

If you want to hear the turbo spool get a K&N intake system for it. Gives you a little extra HP as well. I drive a Powerstroke and with the 100HP program in I will smoke you all, literally:D

reefraff

You've obviously never seen a Diesel with a programmer. I can smoke the tires but I can also make the thing blow smoke out the tail pipe like a locomotive. It's actually pretty quick for a crew cab 4x4 truck.