Turboflotor Question...

lurch694u

I was just wondering how high should the bubbles be inside the skimmer? I can only get mine to come up to the beginning of the collection cup. Should it be all the way up in the collection cup?
I'm stumped, I bought the skimmer off of ---- and it doesn't have instructions...
PLEASE HELP!
:confused:

reefersx2

do you have a ball valve on the out put if so then close the ball valve a little till the bubbles start to peak over the cup.
Hope this helps if not I will try to help some more if I can.
Joey

How do you have the skimmer set up? Did you plumb the water inlet to the tank overflow or are you using a seperate pump/ powerhead to supply water to the skimmer? I use a powerhead to supply the water and the skimmer came with rio pump to supply the air. I am guessing that you are only using one pump intead of two, or that the powerhead/ pump that you are using to supply the water is not strong enough. Please give more details, and we will try to help. Also, try a forum search on 'turboflotor'. We had a similar thread on the board a few weeks ago, you will get the info from that post fast that way.
Good Luck
-Christine
:)

c_bell

I might have to intrude on your psot a little, because I am setting up my turboflotor tonight. I keep on hearing that some people are using 2 pumps with theirs. I have the turboflotor multi 1000 nthat come with the oceanrunner pump.....should i need another pump??
thanks

lurch694u

I have the rio 2100 for the bubble circulater. I also have a rio 600 pushing water into the water inlet. When I put the 600 on it I don't have bubbles no more so i hooked up a air pump to the air injection tube and that brings the bubbles back. The water is about half way up the cone now. To fine adjust it I'm going to try a ball valve on the output. Because I know when I put my hand on one of the output pipes I can get it to overflow over the cone.
I think I'm getting somewhere now. Thanks Guys...:D

I dont think that you should need an air pump. I believe that the Rio 2100 should do this for you. Does your airline stay above the water? I think that you probably need a ball valve between your Rio 600 and the skimmer, to vary the flow until you find the right balance. I am now guessing that the rio 600 is too strong/ pump too much water.
Here is the recommendation that I got from the manufacturer:

[hr]
Original Message

[hr]
To: bt@qfc.co.nz
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 11:26 AM
Subject: Turboflotor 1000
Dear Aquamedic Representative,
I recently purchased a Turboflotor 1000 for use with a 125 gallon marine aquarium that I am setting up. I am installing it into a sump tank in the cabinet. I need to know what size (gallon/ min) pump you recommend to feed water to the skimmer. I have the included Rio 2100 set up for the air venturi, but am unclear what size pump to purchase for the water inlet. I see that you recommend feeding the skimmer water with the tank overflow, but in my case that will not work. The local fish store that sold me the skimmer, sold me a Dolphin DP 110 pump, but it seems really, really small. The Dolphin pumps 1.9 gallons / min at 0 ft head. Will this really work? What pump/ pump size to do recommend? Any tips on installing it? My local support for marine aquariums is very inconsistent. I want to do the best I can to set the tank up now, before I add any livestock
I really appreciate your assistance.
Thank you.
Sincerely
Christine

[hr]
Response:
Christine,
You can use a pump up to 400/GPH, although you will need to fit a ball valve onto it to regulate the flow of water through the skimmer. The water level in the skimmer is a better guage than the GPH when hooking it up. When you hook it up you are going to want to get the water flowing through so the outlets are 3/4 full to full. You want to keep the water level just under where the foam cup mets the skimmer, otherwise you'll have issues with overflow. This is made possible with the valve you'll put onthe supply pump.
Thanks and good luck
Bree

[hr]
My next question:
Dear Bree,
I am setting up my Turboflotor 1000 in my sump and am still having questions about the set-up. When set it up with my original water pump (dolphin DP 115), water filled up one of the return pipes and only half of the other. I figured that this meant that I needed a larger water pump, so I switched the Dolphin for a Maxi-Jet 1200. My results were the same, I just needed to cut the water back with the ball valve to adjust the water level in the skimmer body. Is this normal? Can I get water to flow through both returns? There appears to be no visible obstruction and I sealed all of the connections with 100% silicone. The stand, skimmer and sump are level and results do not change by moving the skimmer to another place in the sump. This will be a 125 Gallon Reef tank with a 20 gallon sump.
I appreciate your help.
Thank you,
Christine

[hr]
That was November 23rd. I received no response to that question.
I currently am cycling my tank with grocery store shrimp and am not running the skimmer yet. I figure trial and error will do the trick, along with a little help from everybody here.
I do believe that this is a good skimmer though.
I originally siliconed the fittings in place, but I was messing with the set-up so much that I kept detaching everything. I used a combo of vinyl tubing and cpvc to plumb in the water pump. I had a very stiff ball valve inline that gave me much grief. I pulled the whole thing out of my sump, I replaced the valve with a better one and glued all of my fitting with Lock-tite (medium strength). I then coated the joints with a litle silicone caulk (aquarium safe). It is now sitting on a shelf in my kitchen until my tank finishes cycling. I have no idea if the locktite will work well, I just didn't want to use a permanent glue. I suppose that silicone would work, if I knew how I was really going to set things up. I do hope that I have it finished though. I haven't decided which powerhead to use yet.
I hope this helps. Do try a forum search though, you will find some good stuff, fast.
Good Luck,
-Christine