turning 30g sump into fuge...

peckhead

im thinking about turning my 30g sump into a fuge.
right now it is all dyi wet dry using bio balls and tupperware containers. i also have a tuperware container about 2.5g with holes drilled in it and ls and chaeto.
the problem with this set up is i dont think im getting enough flow.
now it is impossible for me to take this 30g out from my stand to add baffles and make it into areal fuge.
so would i be able to put in a silicon baffles with the tank still inmy stand or would this be really hard with not alot of room to work... the tank would have to be sitting strait up and i wouldnt be able to rotate it at all.
and also, what size baffles do you guys with 30g sumps get? im nomt sure what size i should have the glass cut to. it is a standard 30g long tank.thanks

azaintcold

I've had to silicon with tank inside of stand, doable. Not fun, but doable. I'm not sure about the dimensions of the baffles, but 1/4 inch glass would be fine.

peckhead

ok, im going to try and do it.
does anyone know what size baffles i should get???? some one has to know...

peckhead

i just need to knowexactly how wide shouldi get the glass cut? im sure 12" wide or 11.75 wide would make a big difference, im not sure how wide to get it cut?

bsmith219

my 30g was 11 1/2 wide so i just subtracted a 1/16 and that was perfect clearance i on ly used two baffles ill try and post a pic tomorrow.

bsmith219

heres a pic i put the baffles in while the tank was in the stand. there is also another part where the return pump is, that you cant see. i only used two baffles i and i get no air bubbles in my display tank. i also put a top on the tank and i get very little evaporation.

bsmith219

ya 1/16 minus the inside measurement its a perfect clearence. i have had mine up less than a month and all kinds of critters moving around in there, algae growing everywhere and very little algae in the display tank. i also used rock rubble instead of bio balls.

bsmith219

from what i have read it is to minimize the air bubbles but i am not other than that the only reason for using them is to separate different capartments and directing water flow