Turnover rate to strong.

J

jaybird101

I have a 75 gal RR with a megaflow over flow.
I currently have a Mag 9.5 in the sump with about 4' of head and a ball valve restricking the flow. This is out putting aprox 500 gals/hour.
I have 3 power heads in the tank that equal aprox 410 gal/hour.
This is a total of 910 gal/hour turn over rate of 12x.
My fish that are in the tank now look like they are fighting the current to swim. :happyfish
I've read on different threads that I need a rate of 20-30x.
Do I really need to add more flow and cause a stronger current to acheave this 20-30X flow rate?

the j.o.p.

i hope thats not 2 much flow!! i'm setting up a 55 with the same over flow setup, but i have a 1200 gph power head!!! it might be to much for my mantis!

teen

i cant picture the fish struggling in 12x turnover unless there sick or there swimming directly in front of the powerhead. what type of fish? clowns have a different swimming pattern than other fish so if its a clown, it may just look like its struggling. clowns sorta wiggle rather than actually swim.
if you do upgrade the flow, i would consider getting rid of the 3 powerheads you currently ahve and getting 2 or 3 large powerheads each at around 800-1500 gph. this will free up some space rather than adding 3 more small powerheads into your tank ontop of the 3 you already have.

J

jaybird101

Teen
I have two power heads on the left and right poining towards each other.
One power head on the back wall pointing towards the front. (I know they are strange power heads but serve the purpose untill I get the right one with the right flow I need) I'm going to upgrade with 3 newer stronger power heads to replace these, but I wanted to check the tank out with this much flow before I purchase stronger power heads and they be to strong.
I have two clowns, one domino damsel. I have had them for about a year now. So I know their swimming patterns. (I just recently placed them in this new tank setup)
Yes I understand clowns swim differently. But when they get in the flow of the power heads they struggle to swim past. This is the same for the domino.
Swimming in the flow of power heads is going to be a every day thing.
I this normal swimming habits for this flow, and how will they react with twice as much flow?
Weberian
I want to get a BTA or Seabea, and some zoos and mushrooms later in the future when I get strong enough lighting.

teen

if the fish are swimming directly in front of the powerheads, there probably enjoying the flow and want more. my fish normally swim directly in front of the powerheads/ closed loop and let it take them for a ride, then swim back and do it again.

I would venture to say you should upgrade to more flow. I currently have 30 times turn over in my 180 and I flow 3000 g/h thru my sump. My fish seem to have no trouble swimming with the high current. The corals will require the higher current and it helps a lot with nusince algea. If there are plenty of places to hide the fish should have no worries! Good luck with your tank!

coachklm

I have @1130 gph in my 40 breeder 28X they like it... its the way the flow is positioned that matters... best to try to replicate all three types of current.

J

jaybird101

Originally Posted by coachKLM
I have @1130 gph in my 40 breeder 28X they like it... its the way the flow is positioned that matters... best to try to replicate all three types of current.
What are the three types of currents?
I have searched in here and can't find any threads and the internet is to confusing.
Can you show me, or link me to a thread that can?

coachklm

There are three main types of water movement, each with very different characteristics:
Laminar flow: Laminar flow is straight, unidirectional flow, like that produced from a powerhead, or at the latter stages of a wave whose energy has been channeled in one direction by the reef.
Surge: Surge is similar, only on a larger scale. To an observer viewing a school of fish, surge is when the school remains in the same pocket of water, but due to surge, the pocket of water and the school of fish suddenly move six feet in one direction, and just as quickly move back.
Turbulence: Turbulence is the random flow of water in multiple directions. Of the three flow patterns, turbulence is the most desirable and the most difficult to produce (Sprung, 1998).

joncat24

the more flow the better. I have approx 7500gph flow in my 180. Have all different flows, turbulent and a closed loop with a scwd and 2000 gph from my returns