turtle tank into salt???

fgcu14

I just recently got a nice, free, tank from a friend that I would like to turn into a refugium. The only problem that may occur is the fact that my friend used to keep turtles in it. Is there any way to disinfect the tank to make it safe for a refuge?

fishgeek01

My first question would be what kind of chemicals have been used in the tank for medicines, cleaning, maintanence, etc. If there were no harsh chemicals ever used then you may be able to do a simple vinigar bath, or very mild bleach solution bath to it to get it cleaned. The chemicals would be my first concern, second concern would be any amount of toxins like ammonia that may have leached into the silicone on it, not sure if this can happen, or how much it does happen, but I do know that any predator, or omnivore like that is going to produce a lot of waste. The water that they live in doesn't bother them to a point, so they can probably tolerate higher ammonia levels, now we all know that our saltwater fish cannot. I would hate for you to be constantly battling ammonia or some other toxin because it is leaching out of your tank seams... just some thoughts, not sure if that helps or not... Maybe take it and clean it very well, throw saltwater in it, let it run bare bottom, nothing in it for a few weeks and do a regular test ont he parameters to make sure it is safe to use, then turn it into your refuge... JMO

fgcu14

thank you for the reply. No chemicals to my knowlage have been placed into the tank, with the exception of maybe a Ph buffer. I have heard of the vinigar trick...but bleach? I think I will do what you said and mix up some saltwater and do the amonia tests.

fishgeek01

glad to help, I beleive with bleach its a 1-10 ration, one cup of bleach for every ten cups of water, but I have never used it and do not recommend it, since a simple vinigar solution will work.

baloo6969

hey man, honnestly. Go to you LFS, and see if they can sell it 4 you. normally they'll take a chunk of the money, but tell them you want to use it twards a new tank they may just take 20% off the top...dont go using an old tank that *MAY* have toxins in it, just dont even change it. Get a new tank, there cheeper than loosing things in your tank

fgcu14

I have decided to fill the tank with salt water after I have cleaned it and test the water in a few weeks time. If everything checks out I will use it for a fuge. If not I will go out and get a new tank for it.

networkguy

my 55gal DT used to be my parents turtle tank. They broke it down about 9 months ago and I set it up 3 months ago. It just sat empty in their basement for 6 months till I finally moved it to my place. I used a cleaner I bought at Petsmart that said it was safe for aquariums...worked good and I haven't had a single problem with the tank.

trainfever

Clean it with the bleach solution, afterwards, you can rinse it with a dechlorinator. Bleach will kill most all germs and bacteria in the tank. Also, bleach is made from saltwater and reverts back into saltwater when it is broken down.