two branches of new frogspawn not looking good

6mmmedic

I just got his guy last week and he looked good until yesterday. Only water paramenter that was off was Phosphates..they were 2 and i now have in somephosphate sponge. Any ideas? What if a food pellet landed in it?

meowzer

Well then it could be what's called brown jelly disease....I once was advised on this to take it and do a freshwater dip...also I was told to cut the bad heads off...
Of course this was with a hammer, but the disease is the same. You could do a search on brown jelly disease and see what other info you can find out too.

jackri

A reading of 2 is terrible.... I hope there is a decimal involved as .1 and below (preferable 0) are on the more acceptible side.

6mmmedic

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/2981408
A reading of 2 is terrible.... I hope there is a decimal involved as .1 and below (preferable 0) are on the more acceptible side.

Yes, .2
Just a typo.....
Like I asked earlier, would a pellet of food dropping on it have caused this? It has been doing excellent......I fed some pellets yesterday and it was after I fed them that I noticed it start doing this.

jackri

They can eat food -- I can't see your pic at work though :(
I doubt a pellet dropping on it affected it, food drops on mine all the time (2 big bunches of it) and doesn't bother it... shrimp usually get to it before the frogspawn can eat it though.

6mmmedic

I went back and looked at my phosphate color card and yes the test shows 2 PPM not .2. Im working on lowering that with phosban. Not sure how it got out of control. I will also run another test to make sure there wasnt an error. Heads are looking worse almost like the polyps are melting off. ugh

cranberry

I'd crack off the heads of those with brown jelly and toss it. I lost a couple dozen heads due to a brown jelly saga.

6mmmedic

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/2981810
I'd crack off the heads of those with brown jelly and toss it. I lost a couple dozen heads due to a brown jelly saga.
would freshwater dipping help? Also why all of a sudden after i got the coral would it die and get this brown jeff stuff? did acclimation cause it to kick in?

jerryatrick

I have kept all three types of euphyllia. BJD has arised on two different torches of mine. I have done a fair amount of research on the disease and I have gotten mixed responses. I have read that rough contact with the heads could cause it.
Cutting the infected heads off as mentioned above is the best advice. The disease can spread quickly. I was able to save two heads off one of my infected torches. My other torch was wiped out completely overnight. I never saw the brown jelly so act quickly.
Recently a few local reefers that I know had problems with newly purchased frogspawn. BJD killed off the majority of the coral.
Not that I think that this is the cause but just out of curiosity, what brand of salt are you using?