Two Butterflyfish

michael r

Well, I'm looking over my 90 gallon stocklist once more.
I currently have:
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Falcula Butterflyfish
2 Firefish
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
But I want to get rid of the Clownfish. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to add another Butterflyfish to my aquarium? They're my favourite and I would add another one over any Dwarf Angelfish.
Thanks,
Michael

N

nereef

you can usually mix butterflyfishes with no problem. what species are you looking at?

michael r

I like the Copperband, Auriga and Raccoon in particular.
I realize that the Auriga and Raccoon get large, to around 9", but this setup is unfortunately temporary as I'll be going to University in 1.5 years and will have to take it all apart. I doubt they'll reach anywhere near 9" in that time frame. It's most important for me to keep happy fish, though, and if they'd be cramped in a 90 at 3 or 4 inches, then I'd rather not have them.
In the mean time I hope to enjoy the hobby with a prompt return in the future.

michael r

In fact, how's this for a final stocklist:
1 Falcula Butterflyfish
1 Other Butterflyfish
2 Firefish
3 or 5 C. viridis or C. cyanea
1 Sandsifter Goby (Diamond, Yellowhead Sleeper, etc.)

mx#28

I would reccomend the Copperband because it is a different genus than the Falcula (Chelmon vs. Chaetodon). This makes for a much more peaceful co-existance than same genus fish. I've done this recently with a school of pearlscales (also Chaetodon) that now share a tank with a Copperband with very little trouble.

michael r

Great, I love the Copperband and I'm going to aim for docile eaters as tankmates so that they won't steal the Butterfly's food.
I have some concerns regarding chromis. I constantly read about small groups (3 or 5) that always dwindle down to two or one in a few months.
Are chromis just not meant to be kept in groups then? If they'll likely end up killing each other in the end I'd rather get some other fish.

N

nereef

the ones i've tried to keep end up going from 6-5-4-3-2-1 over a few months to a year or so. they are meant to be kept in groups, i just think the groups need to be bigger.

reefin419

I would Reccomend the Raccoon Butterfly Personally......i have heard of many people try copperbands and their mortality rate seems way to high to risk it. On the other hand raccoons seem to be a genrally easy fish to get acclimated to the home aquaria and seem to eat right away just my opinion.

mx#28

Originally Posted by Michael R
Great, I love the Copperband and I'm going to aim for docile eaters as tankmates so that they won't steal the Butterfly's food.
I have some concerns regarding chromis. I constantly read about small groups (3 or 5) that always dwindle down to two or one in a few months.
Are chromis just not meant to be kept in groups then? If they'll likely end up killing each other in the end I'd rather get some other fish.
You've got to feed them - a lot. Chromis have a very high metabolism and will require 3-4 feedings per day. All this food keeps them from starving over time and also eases any group aggression because it eliminates the need for feeding time competition. That said, a larger group (say 7 or 8 or much more) is usually better.

mx#28

Originally Posted by Reefin419
I would Reccomend the Raccoon Butterfly Personally......i have heard of many people try copperbands and their mortality rate seems way to high to risk it. On the other hand raccoons seem to be a genrally easy fish to get acclimated to the home aquaria and seem to eat right away just my opinion.
Yes, raccoons are easier but are more aggressive and are the same genus as his Falcula - potentially opening the door to some real problems. If you're willing to get a Copperband from a trusted source that collects and ships well, and if you're willing to take the time to offer a variety of different live and frozen foods, I don't think the Copperbands are much trouble.

michael r

I definately want to try a Copperband because I love them sooo much and there are a lot of fish stores around me (good ones) that have received some new shipments.
I'll make sure they're eating some frozen food (at least brine shrimp) before I buy it.
Regarding the Chromis, well I really don't want voracious eaters that would steal the food from the Butterflies.
Instead, I like the Banggai Cardinalfish. Any other suggestions for fish to replace the Chromis with?