Two different clownfish?

jazztap10

Just curious...has anyone tried to have a black and white clownfish and a false perc in the same tank?
I'm wondering because the LFS has those two in a fairly small tank..probably 25g or something like that.

S

salth2osmoker

i got a black and white with the nemo clown and they love each other always right next to each other. the maroons are the mean ones. i had 2 black&whites but they woud fight and nemo would try and stop them. But yes the 2 clowns love each other sleep in same spot basically ontop of each other and its a 125 gallon

brewski4u1

i have a b/w and a reg in my tank for well over a year now and no problems just the usuall fighting here and there!

bang guy

Originally Posted by Brewski4u1
http:///forum/post/2972173
so bang guy what are there full grown babbies gonna look like a b/w or a reg or a mix of both ?
All are orange & white for a year or so and then about half of them begin getting darker and turning mostly B & W after 3 or 4 years.

pezenfuego

What makes them black and white? From my little knowledge about genetics, I would guess that it is a dominant allele. This is because you said about half get it. Am I right? That would mean that it is possible for two heterozygous b&w clowns to have an orange clownfish. Am I making wild guesses here? lol

jazztap10

Thanks for your imput guys! I didnt realize they are actually the same species. To answer the genetics question: If it a simple complete segregation allele, then the b&w gene is recessive:

Z=orange
z=b&w
Z is dominant over z
ZZ=orange, Zz=orange, zz=b&w
If you have an orange times a b&w it could be:
Zz x zz >>offspring: Zz, Zz, zz, zz (half orange, half b&w)
This *could* be the case, only if the alleles seperate completely during cell division :)

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by jazztap10
http:///forum/post/2972726
Thanks for your imput guys! I didnt realize they are actually the same species. To answer the genetics question: If it a simple complete segregation allele, then the b&w gene is recessive:

Z=orange
z=b&w
Z is dominant over z
ZZ=orange, Zz=orange, zz=b&w
If you have an orange times a b&w it could be:
Zz x zz >>offspring: Zz, Zz, zz, zz (half orange, half b&w)
This *could* be the case, only if the alleles seperate completely during cell division :)
Very interesting stuff! So then it could be possible for two orange clowns to make a black clown if they are heterozygous

That's cool!