Two DME's in a 240g?

95harley

Well time has come to take the next steps. Ive decided to downsize from 3 tanks to 2. I think I'll be selling off all my 240g FOWLR fish, restructuring the rock, adding MH & T5 lights and going reef.
Once it's up and running and loaded with Damsels, Chromis, Sgt Majors, Clowns, and maybe some Anthisas. Along with Xenia, Kenya, Polyps, etc.
I plan on moving my DME down to give him a BIG home.
Think I can support 2 DME's in an 8' tank? Without the risk of them hurting each other?
I know several guys who have but I also heard that there have been "incendents".

kjr_trig

It would be an awesome tank Joe. I think I told you, when I upgrade my 240, I would like to do a Brazilian DME, and either Japanese or Hawaiian DME in there (complete with softies and Damsals)....I hope it could work.

I would certainly pop Marco an email at wetwebmedia as both you and I have taken advantage of that excellent resource for Eel knowledge in the past.

95harley

I will follow up with Marco and I might do that set-up...BDME and JDME.

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/3218655
It would be an awesome tank Joe. I think I told you, when I upgrade my 240, I would like to do a Brazilian DME, and either Japanese or Hawaiian DME in there (complete with softies and Damsals)....I hope it could work.

I would certainly pop Marco an email at wetwebmedia as both you and I have taken advantage of that excellent resource for Eel knowledge in the past.

crypt keeper

Man that is going to be sick looking. I have never had two eels. Do eels fight? I could see some issues with two full grown DME's over caves and space

95harley

I'm hoping an 8' tank will keep the aggression down but I might try a BDME instead.
Better to try it with a $200 eel.
I've started a thread in the Reef section I'll be going slow but I will keep you all posted to my progress. Hopefully by the fall I'll be a 2 tank guy.

hammerhed7

if I recall correctly there was a guy on here a while back that had 2 adult dme's in a 6 foot 210. I think the key would be to have plenty of spaces for them hide, usually once an eel picks his favorite spot they stay with it. The issue would arise if both liked the same spot.