Two new horses join the herd.

old_salt

Woke up on Wednesday to find the mother of the babies we had a couple of weeks ago had died. She appeared to be doing just fine the night before, eating and hanging out at the front of the aquarium like she did every night. I'm not positive, but it looks like her mate might also be carrying another load of eggs. His pouch looks extremely extended and he isn't showing any signs of being sick. I stopped by the LFS on Friday in hopes of finding another female. There were no singles, only one pair of H. Erectus and the owner thought they may have been taken from the wild. They are both in quarantine now and the male is eating enriched brine. I have only seen the female snick one since Friday and she is looking very thin. I know there are a lot of good reasons for not buying wild horses, but I just couldn't let them starve to death in the store. My biggest concern it that I may not be able to get them converted over to frozen mysis in time. Any tips on how to convert them over to frozen from live? Thanks.

teresaq

try some live gut loaded ghost shrimp to start with. Most lfs sell them. Also try live mysis. may have to buy them on line. I know where, ****
You may have to worm them if they are WC.
The best person I know for this info is Tim on ******

old_salt

Both ate good today. The male had 4 babies tonight. He was acting like he was having severe stomach pains and next thing I know he has released a few babies. I believe these may be premature as they are about half the size of the ones born a couple weeks ago. I suspect he will release the others tonight so I have covered the filter intake with a piece of panty hose. Will let you know what happens.

teresaq

wow up to your elbows in babies. Humm didnt I read somewhere that kuda have a 14 day gestation

old_salt

The female of this pair died last night. She never really ate much of anything from the time I brought her home. I guess some say it might have been wiser for me to leave this pair in the store and less the owner take the loss, but I did my best to give her a decent place to spend her last few days and the male did give me over a hundred babies to support (only 1 of these has died so far and many appear to be eating the baby brine). I would never recommend anyone buy a wild caught seahorse without making sure it is eating as sometimes it seems like they go on a hunger strike and starve themselves to death. This is the 3rd seahorse I have lost to refusing to eat and there is nothing I could do to entice them to eat. Very sad, but I just had to try.