two noob questions

vivioo7

how do corals like frogspawn create new heads?
can you give coral too much light? for example leathers require less light but can you give them too much? if so will it be some crazy amount that would never happen or would it be pretty possible?
thanks

R

reeftheif

It is very possible to give a coral too much light. or a dramatic increase in intensity. the coral will look bleached out. corals split to create new heads

vivioo7

ok, i ask because i have two friends who have had frogspawn for over a year and still dont have new heads

jaymz

The frog spawn may have not grown or grown any new heads or branches because its not getting the nutrition is needs. It may just be getting what it needs to survive and not thrive.
If your friends are wanting the frogspawn to grow they should first get a calcium test if they do not have one already, and test there calcium levels which should be between 450-500. closer to 450. If the calcium is low you can by a calcium supplement.
Also you can get a food like Kents microvert, thats what I use someone may tell you of a diffferent or better food. You can dose the tank or spot feed the coral directly. Be careful with this food overfeeding with it will degrade you water quality. Doing this should help the frog spawn show signs of growth with in a month or two. This and clean clean water.
HTH