TWO PORCUPINE PUFFERS

jess

I have a 90g tank. It has 1 Naso and 1 Porc Puffer about 4' long. Could I add another porc? The one I want to add is around 2'

pufferlover

very doubtful it will work. The only way it ever worked for me was adding 2 at the same time but then it turned out they were a boy and girl and since then I performed a wedding ceremony with them reading from my ---- Mills Marine Aquarium book lol. If you happen to put 2 males together all hell will break loose. Since no one has figured how to --- Porks you can't just figure what you have and get a mate. If one could do what you want I would not have 5 puffs in 4 different tanks. But I am a sucker for these fish especially the baby ones.

jess

I also forgot to mention that I keep my puffer in a reef tank. He has been there since I got him when he was very small, Over a year

reefkeeper1

I had thought of adding a velentini puffer(Rescue from *****) to my reef tank but feared for my inverts how is he doing. Any havok in the tank.(Rescue from *****) Why is it that when you tell them they have a fish with ich and a bacterial infection the managers response is ya but the othere are in good health and you cant beat the price.

reefkeeper1

Pufferlover whats the likely hood of keeping different puffers in a 2000 gallon tank (would like four diff species)

jess

I keep my porc puffer with mushrooms (there all over my tank) one leather, and 1 pink tip anemone

pufferlover

Reefkeeper; You have me there I have no idea how 4 different ones would do in a 2000 gal tank. I would only point out that the one I mentioned in another post that is at the Shedd Aqaruim here in chgo is in a 90000 gal tank with sharks and the like but it is the only Puffer in that tank (he is about 2 feet long and huge in girth). I would contact a public aquaruim and ask their thoughts on something like that. You can call the Shedd during business hours and get help on fish related questions for free. If you desire to do that let me know and I will post their phone and web site for you.

pufferlover

jess; regarding your posts I do know people (my son included that keep smaller puffs in their reef tanks- his is a Pork). All books and web sites that discuss Puffs will say not reef compatiable, but again some people push that envelope and do ok. They will eat inverts and I suppose if hungry will nibble on corals and that is the gamble one takes. My son swears his does none of the above but he feeds it well. The main problem I see is that as they grow they will most likely knock things over and for sure nibble on them. A Valentini gets only 3 to 5 inches but they to will eat inverts and nibble other things.

reefkeeper1

I would apreciate the phome number to the shed and thank you for the info. I was wondering about the inverts in my tank with the puffer. Right now it is the smallest puffer i have ever seen i dont see why they do this to there fish the chance for survival is so slim. They even had s manderian that was 1/2 inch in length and as round as a pencil. I am not going to get the puffer from them even though i felt bad for it they have elimenated most of there salt tanks so if enough fish die maybe they will stop selling them.

pufferlover

reefkeeper; you can call them at 321-692-3224 but be aware they only do this by leaving them a message and they call you with answer later. Being a large public aquaruim they only do this as time allows. Most have heard or visited them when here and they claim to be one of the worlds largest. Their dolphin and whale habitat is two million gallons and they have raised a Beluga whale baby the last couple of years which is quite a feat.