Two Questions?

Okay...heres our story. 55 gallon tank, 60-65 LBS of LR, 60 LBS of LS, setup since October/November, protein skimmer, 2 hob filters.
inhabitants:
5 Mexican turbo snails, 4 Nass. snails, 1 scarlet hermit, 2 blue legged hermits, 1 conch, 1 fromia star, 1 head of frogspawn, shrooms, zoas, yellow polyps, xenia.
1st Question~ We need more of a cuc, we have visible "greens"
I'd rather not have any more turbo's, they seem to be bulldozers, nor do we want astrea snails, we're not home enough to play babysitter with them. What would be a good amount of hermits/snails to get at one time, as well as what types. We've read the 1 cuc per gallon, of corse we'd never get that many at one time.
2nd Question~We're getting our first fish this weekend. We would really like to get a clown goby. Could we get 2, or should we just get 1 and then a few weeks later?

lexluethar

I don't know about your second question, but for number one i would definately get a few more snails (4) and get a lot more hermits (15). I have a 30 gallon tank and i have only 3 less snails and 10 more hermits then you, and i'm tempted to get more snails...
Also what does your flow look like? How many powerheads? Location? GPH? These are vital in keeping the debris buildup suspended in the water colum from your filters to take out. Also for algae if that is becoming a problem look at your phosphates and how long you are running your lights.

mr_x

and i have a 200 gallon tank and have less snails and hermits than both of you.
i have no problem with algae.
you need to remove nutrients more efficiently, or ease up on adding them, or both. not buy more eating, pooping, critters.
i'd get the two fish at once, but not more than that.

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2556117
I don't know about your second question, but for number one i would definately get a few more snails (4) and get a lot more hermits (15). I have a 30 gallon tank and i have only 3 less snails and 10 more hermits then you, and i'm tempted to get more snails...
Also what does your flow look like? How many powerheads? Location? GPH? These are vital in keeping the debris buildup suspended in the water colum from your filters to take out. Also for algae if that is becoming a problem look at your phosphates and how long you are running your lights.

We have 1302 GPH pretty decent flow- 2 hob filters, 3 powerheads. 2 out of the three powerheads have the "sweep" motions.
What types of hermits, and snails should I go with?

scopus tang

Originally Posted by amyandbrandon2
http:///forum/post/2556170
We have 1302 GPH pretty decent flow- 2 hob filters, 3 powerheads. 2 out of the three powerheads have the "sweep" motions.
What types of hermits, and snails should I go with?
If your going to add, I would go with cerith snails (small and non-bulldozing IME) and red-legged hermits (least aggressive IME). JMO.

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2556219
If your going to add, I would go with cerith snails (small and non-bulldozing IME) and red-legged hermits (least aggressive IME). JMO.
Mexican turbo's are awesome for hair algae, but unless my coral(s) are mounted to the rock, they just plow them over.