Two "Raising Fry" questions....

sueandherzoo

Great ideas, ladies..... maybe I can use the next few months to keep learning from everyone else while I pay close attention to the courting habits, gestation period, and "warning signs" of impending birth. The two broods I've had so far have been total surprises to me. Also, both times I only had about 30 or 40 fry.... I don't know if he's having small broods or if I'm just getting to the tank too many hours after birth and they're all getting eaten. The more I get to know the male's bodily changes and behavior I may be able to isolate him a day or two before he gives birth.
Yes, T.... I should find someone who wants to try raising them for a while - it seems a waste to just let them get eaten.
I SAY I don't want to deal with any fry right now but once you look in the tank and see the babies that all changes. How do you see those amazing creatures and NOT try to save them????? Maybe I'll use the next few months as my learning curve and will be ready to put a concentrated effort into utilizing the knowledge come fall/winter. But if my little boy starts producing several hundred per brood I'll certainly have enough to share if I find someone local who wants to learn, too.
The fascination continues . . .